Can tow hooks or shackles be installed on an 85 F-150?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can tow hooks or shackles be installed on an 85 F-150?

CDLong

I can't find any post where tow hooks or shackles have been installed on a bullnose. I'd like them on mine, but it appears the bumper will be in the way. I really like the factory bumper, but I'd like a way to be able to pull her if needed, like when I drove her home and she died a mile from the house. My front cross member was already bent. Found some aftermarket bumpers, but I'm not fond of any of them.
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can tow hooks or shackles be installed on an 85 F-150?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think there's anything ready made that bolts on.
250/350 4x4 trucks have the front spring shackles in the frame horns.
My '87 has a very deep front bumper with different mounts

I do know that Jonathan (F834) and StraightSix both have front receivers with stock bumpers.
Again, I'm pretty sure these were fabricated rather than bought.

Let me see if I can find some pictures
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by CDLong
If all you want are hooks I'd probably have some plate cut that would match the bumper bracket bolt pattern and come out below so they could attach or be welded.

Here's a thread:
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/84-Bronco-3g-alternator-upgrade-problem-tp76904p76959.html   (front receiver pics and discussion)

66gtk (Troy) sold a blue truck that had some kinda frame beneath the front bumper that had clevises.

You might reply to his thread to see how he did that.

Jonathan uses his front receiver to bend up rebar for the footings of the house he's working on

There's also this thread:  https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Front-Reciever-Hitch-w-Stock-bumper-tp38522.html
W/pic's and discussion

Hope this helps  ðŸ˜‰

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Thank you Jim. This is just what I want.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
My1984 F150 4x4 had tow hooks mounted on the frame rails,  outboard side if i remember correctly. Truck is long gone but I still have the hooks. May have been the bottom of the rail, it's been awhile.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
In reply to this post by CDLong
Depending on the truck I have seen them mounted to plow frames or the leaf spring shackle where the bolt was removed and a piece of threaded eye hooks were instead with a locking nun on either side. Half tons could use those holes or fab a bracket to hang below.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yow!!!
He's mighty proud of some rusty scrap.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by Whisler
Whisler wrote
My1984 F150 4x4 had tow hooks mounted on the frame rails,  outboard side if i remember correctly. Truck is long gone but I still have the hooks. May have been the bottom of the rail, it's been awhile.
Thanks.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by Angelo Voltura
Angelo Voltura wrote
Depending on the truck I have seen them mounted to plow frames or the leaf spring shackle where the bolt was removed and a piece of threaded eye hooks were instead with a locking nun on either side. Half tons could use those holes or fab a bracket to hang below.
Thank you.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Yow!!!
He's mighty proud of some rusty scrap.
I was thinkin' the same thing Jim.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I've dealt with him before. Good source of Bullnose parts, but pricey. You have to figure though, he buys these vehicles and parts them out, so he has to charge enough to get a return.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Yeah, I used to part out pretty 80 Cub Cadet tractors. Think I'll keep lookin'.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe Whisler would want to part with his, since "the truck is long gone"?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
I'm open to tow hooks, I do like the hitch behind the bumper, hiden by a license plate. Once I get the dash back together, I'm gonna remove the bracket the front stabilizer bar bolts to, straighten it and do some measurin'. If the tow hooks aren't lower than the bumper, I have no equipment to make spacers.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
If you are interested in the hooks, just let me know. They won't work on F250, at least not easily.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke wrote
I've dealt with him before. Good source of Bullnose parts, but pricey. You have to figure though, he buys these vehicles and parts them out, so he has to charge enough to get a return.
I've dealt with him twice, and he is one of the rudest people I have run into on Ebay and I refuse to buy from him. I inquired about a transmission crossmember that he hadn't listed, but had clearly mentioned to ask him if you see something in a photo. He asked if I could send him a "core" to hold the transmission up, and I said yea, I can do that, no worries. He then stopped responding with no reasoning.

I asked him once more a year ago about a different part, and he said make me an "offer". I gave him a reasonable offer based on what similar parts were going for + a little for his time and effort. He proceeded to once again stop responding, and then listed the part at 3 times what I offered, and even put in the listing "If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it for my own truck". He's a jerk 100%, but he knows what he has and he's definitely smug about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by Whisler
Whisler wrote
If you are interested in the hooks, just let me know. They won't work on F250, at least not easily.
Yes I'd like them. Please let me know your price. I was forced into retirement 2 weeks after I purchased my truck. Money is tight so that means I don't know when I can purchase them. I have to get parts and get the dash back in. Been lookin' for another job, but @ 71, I'm not havin' a lot of luck.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Ifitaintbroke wrote
I've dealt with him twice, and he is one of the rudest people I have run into on Ebay and I refuse to buy from him. I inquired about a transmission crossmember that he hadn't listed, but had clearly mentioned to ask him if you see something in a photo. He asked if I could send him a "core" to hold the transmission up, and I said yea, I can do that, no worries. He then stopped responding with no reasoning.

I asked him once more a year ago about a different part, and he said make me an "offer". I gave him a reasonable offer based on what similar parts were going for + a little for his time and effort. He proceeded to once again stop responding, and then listed the part at 3 times what I offered, and even put in the listing "If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it for my own truck". He's a jerk 100%, but he knows what he has and he's definitely smug about it.
Thanks for the heads up.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I have not looked at my F100 4x2 but I cant see why you cant get hooks that even have the keeper tab so what ever is on the hook will not come off and mount them to the bottom of the frame rail?

At most would need to drill 2 holes to mount and I think I would use something like a large flat washer to spread the load over a larger area on the inside of the frame.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100