classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can't remove front hub/disc - 4WD

BigDav782
Hi all,

I'm in the process of figuring out a loud noise coming from my driver's side front wheel, and am trying to get to the bearings and U-joints.  So far, I've been able to remove the wheel, 4wd manual locking hubs, and the wheel bearing lock nut, lock ring, and adjusting nut.  At this point, I should be able to just pull the hub and disc assembly off, correct?  The instructions for this procedure in the "Documentation" section make me thing so, as well as multiple YouTube videos.  

However, I haven't been able to, despite using a rubber mallet to hit all around the assembly to try and loosen it up.  I even hit it from the back, while spinning it to hit it from all angles, and it doesn't seem to be budging.  

Certainly it looks gross inside - lots of brown sludge that looks like a combination of rust, water, and grease, but I can't see how that would hold this assembly on.  I definitely can't see any other sort of ring/fastener/etc. that could be holding it on.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave
'85 F150, I6, 4wd, 3 speed automatic
Hopkins, MN (Twin Cities)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can't remove front hub/disc - 4WD

salans7
If the bearings are seized to the spindle, it won't come off without a lot of force. That noise you heard was probably a bearing that failed, and it has now fused itself or at least deteriorated to a point where it has become lodged onto the spindle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigDav782
There’s a retaining ring just inside the hub. Have you gotten it out?  It is just a thin wire bent in a circle and fits in a recess.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
There’s a retaining ring just inside the hub. Have you gotten it out?  It is just a thin wire bent in a circle and fits in a recess.
He's way past that point, the locking hub is already out since he's removed the spindle lock nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought you could take those nuts out w/o removing the retainer. My bad. 😩

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
You did take the brake caliper off, correct?
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Edit_ As I re-read your post, you may be stuck at the rotor?

A picture might help us figure out exactly where you're stuck, but based on your note and some not-so-recent experience taking mine apart last summer, I'd hazard a guess you're about here at "spindle 3105":

The Ford service manual implies much coaxing with a leather mallet.  However, mine, even after cleaning was pretty well seized.  Although I did mange one side with a chisel and rubber mallet, I tried a different method on the other side and it was so much easier.

Find a spindle puller analogue to Ford 204-D020 (D93T-3206-A) like this one (although my local Napa had a dozen in the back):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RJ0Y50

And thread it onto the end, and use a slide hammer to pull it off.

Although I coated the surfaces on the back of the spindle and dust shield with anti-seize, the tolerances are so tight I still had to use the puller the next day when I had to take it apart again when I realized I left the dust shield off after I put it all back together.  

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, so that seems to be the problem.  I remember having a TERRIBLE time getting the spindles off the '95 I got for the D60 swap.  This post shows how I did it.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Also, if that outer bearing gets “crooked” it won’t want to come off.

Might take a good look and see, then straighten it with punch or something similar.

That’s if it isn’t seized as mentioned.

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
BigDav782 wrote
....  So far, I've been able to remove the wheel, 4wd manual locking hubs, and the wheel bearing lock nut, lock ring, and adjusting nut.  At this point, I should be able to just pull the hub and disc assembly off, correct?  ....
Dyn Blin wrote
Edit_ As I re-read your post, you may be stuck at the rotor?....
I'm reading that he isn't as far as trying to get the spindle out.  It sounds like he still has the hub / rotor assembly and both of the wheel bearings still on.

And yes, if you've removed both spindle nuts and the lock ring that goes between them (and the brake caliper obviously), you should be able to grab the rotor and slide the hub off, pushing / pulling both wheel bearings with it.

So unfortunately it sounds like salans7 might have hit on on your issue, bearings seized to the spindle.  If it's the inner bearing you ought to be able to get the hub / rotor off with just a little more banging.  The grease seal is a light press into the back of the hub, and if you work at it enough it shouldn't be too hard to pull it out.  Then the hub / rotor will slide off, pushing the outer wheel bearing off and leaving the inner one there for you to fight with once the hub is out of the way.

If it's the outer bearing that's seized I don't see an easy path.  As grumpin said, if it's just crooked rather than seized you might be able to tap it back in to straighten it out.  But if it's seized you're in for a fight.  The only thing I can think of is to get some sort of puller on it.  Maybe pull against the wheel studs and get something to put against the end of the spindle so you don't damage it.  Good luck, it sounds like a tough job.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins