Caliper Maintenance??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Caliper Maintenance??

Bruno2
Is there any way to grease the pins on our style caliper?
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caliper Maintenance??

Gary Lewis
Administrator
"Pins"?  Assuming this is on Jr, there aren't any pins are there?  I would have thought an '82 had the caliper sliding on the bracket with the arched spring.  If so, I take a file to the caliper and the bracket to ensure there are no high spots where they interface, and then I use the black yukky silicone brake grease on that spot.

But, I will say that even then the calipers haven't moved very well.  So I don't like that design and was happy that the D60 I got has the pins.

Anyway, if I've misunderstood your question or what you are working on please sort me out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caliper Maintenance??

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Bruno2
There are 4 trucks in your sig, and the 3 Fords have 3 distinct caliper slides - which one are you asking about?  The '82 has no pins; just this:

Yes, like all other metal-to-metal points of contact, you should apply a brake grease: