C6 Transmission Pick up tube

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

C6 Transmission Pick up tube

viven44
I'm doing a fluid change on a C6 transmission. I must say this is my first time doing this on a 4x4 so I don't know what is normal.

I ordered a WIX 58937 filter because it had the better reviews vs the ATP B50. Motorcraft is only NOS unfortunately.

The pickup tube that is used for the 4x4 deep pan is a loose fit. Waiting on the ATB B50 filter kit to see how the fit is. If both are loose, I'm going to reuse the old filter as its just a metal screen.

Getting harder to keep these old trucks going

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: C6 Transmission Pick up tube

viven44
I’m not too worried about the pick up tube falling out because those “tangs” touch the bottom of the pan  ,just barely and will hold that pickup where it is.

Just worried about the clearance between the pick up tube and the grommet. I’m afraid oil or worse air! can get past that.

Vivek

- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the normal fluid level is well above this added pickup tube. the reason for the dip in the 4wd pans and the extension tube is for the odd steep angle that trucks occasionally find themselves in when working off road. generally speaking, any angle that the truck can manage is well within the pan's capacity. if doing extreme offroading then you may want to discuss that with those who push limits and are modifying much more at the same time
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
OK that is super comforting to know. When I dropped this pan I extracted ~7 quarts of fluid. So i'm not at all surprised it would be past where the pickup would be.

By the way, does 7 qts seem normal ? The dipstick was not in all the way when I got the Bronco and it was sitting outside for 3 years (hasn't ran yet in about 3 years), so I worry about rain water in the fluid possibly from the cowl drip.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
cowl drip is real. that's why ford put a cowl seal there. it's more of a gutter to move the rainwater to the edges by the hinges but it really helps. I'm not sure how much can get funneled into the dip tube, but I know it's possible if the dipstick is out. did you notice any rusting of metals inside the trans while it was open?  if so then proceed with caution. rust particles can cause a host of problems. mostly inside the valve body but possibly damaging to the pump also. the screen/filter screens the fluid going into the pump then cooler, then back to the control circuit. however, it only screens what comes through that avenue. any particles in the system already may never get back to the pan to get screened. it is a run it and find out test at this time.  
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
The reason I even took apart the pan is because the dipstick would not go back in all the way. The dipstick tube's inner side was all crusty/rusty. Probably from being exposed. The fluid itself was cherry red, I saw some "sludge" at the bottom of the pan which is the usual clutch material, etc but no signs of rust inside the transmission whatsoever. The fluid kept everything passivated well.

This is a 78 Bronco, so I don't even know if there is a cowl seal. The Bullnose ones, gosh, thats like the first thing I replace when I get a bullnose. Never seen a good cowl seal!
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
sounds good
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
I got the ATP filter today. It was even worse than the Wix one. The grommet to pick up tube snugness is no where near what I saw on the original filter.

Anyway, I assembled it back with the Wix filter. As you said, the pick up tube would only play a role in specific scenarios. This will be just a street truck, no offroading plans.

Just disappointed that there is no longer Motorcraft parts supply

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I find myself saying daily that "nothing fits like the originals". but that is what happens when the focus on being good enough to avoid needing the original factory warranty is in play. when the manufacturer has to warranty the whole transmission then they will use the best parts on the front end. it is just business. the man on the side of the highway is not the focus. we have tow trucks for him. then the original producer of the parts at original factory spec drops the production to provide the next model year parts etc. the next best option is often just not as good. as far as the c6 filter/screen, often you are as well off removing it and spraying it with brake clean then blowing it dry with compressed air and putting it back. by the time it is catching anything worth catching the trans has failed. or at least needs new clutches and at that point the seals are getting tired too. basically, everything has a lifespan. fresh fluid is the best thing you can do.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
"by the time it is catching anything worth catching the trans has failed. or at least needs new clutches and at that point the seals are getting tired too."

Agreed

I thought about reusing the old filter. I had assumed it would clean up well but the mating surface had a lot of pitting. I assume it has been reused before. The grommet was also has hardened a lot, and had at least one dry crack spot.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
all good points. but pitting is most commonly the result of having been rusted. nothing in the normal use of the transmission should cause pitting.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
You can see the pitting below, where I scraped off the old gasket. It was an odd type of gasket, with metal stripes, something that looked like one a rebuilder had installed. Besides that mating surface all else was very clean inside so I’m hoping the transmission has some life.

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
definitely looks like rust caused by moisture contained. A gasket wet with trans fluid should prevent this but if a vehicle sits stored for an extensive period, especially if its outside going through seasonal changes this happens. start and run those vehicles monthly. I'm resurrecting a cool 67 cougar that was last reg in 1980. it was a barn find like we all want. but the engine was rusted together.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
I've had good luck with C6s that sat for a while. The governor sticks a little but after a few trips that problem goes away. Hoping this one turns out the same way!!
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by mat in tn
No more barn finds for me !!

Interested in hearing more about the cougar restoration!
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
nice car but seems to have been " that old uncle's car" that got put up and forgot about. a couple dings but near perfect interior. owner wants od so it now has a remanned aod and a remanned 289. im spread a little thin across multiple projects so I'm glad that I have no deadlines. i am hoping to start it and do break in soon. waiting on a few odd bits right now
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Very Cool! I didn't know you ran a restoration shop.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that makes it sound much better than it is. by no means is it kindigit designs. it's a dirty old factory that we work out of, and we are what I call a startup. my nephew is one of the few of his age that is as interested as I at his age.  he has a good community of small customers and a couple small fleet ones also, but primarily filling the void of an old hotrod shop. I was doing bullnose trucks as a hobby in Nashville before I retired and now, I'm doing some of the old car projects for him. I'm also rebuilding/remanning engines and transmissions that we sell/ install. primarily windsors and aods.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
That's very cool. Sounds 'Uncle Tony's Garage'-ish :) I like his YouTube channel.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it's a bit like that. tony is building bigger and better and I think he is better monetized. he is building an additional dirty space to keep crud out of the main shop.  we have a dirty shop that I am constantly trying to create a clean space. as it is my home shop is the clean space.