Butyl sound deadener on rusty floors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Butyl sound deadener on rusty floors

Gimmeagig
I recently pulled out the vinyl in my truck to replace it with carpet and there was a lot of rust and also holes.Cleaned it up with rust converter and JB weld steel stick epoxy putty. Seems ok now.there were some Waterleaks and i think I found them and patched them. So now i'm wondering if I should put some butyl type sound deadener down to seal the area from moisture.. On one hand I'm hoping it will keep moisture away from the previously rusty areas.But if that ever failed I would not be able to pull the sticky stuff back out. Then I would definitely have to replace the floors.
I love that truck and I want to keep it but it is definitely never going to be a show truck. I just want to keep it from slowly rusting away from under me. What should I do, Butyl or just leave it and put the carpet down over the painted floors?
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Butyl sound deadener on rusty floors

85lebaront2
Administrator
Not in my truck, but on my Chrysler Lebaron convertible I used spray-on bed liner (the kind that hardens).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gimmeagig
This is essentially what I did with my Bronco. Fixed water leaks, ground the rust away, put POR15 down and fiberglassed the couple of holes. Let all dry, painted and put sound deadening down.

May not be the professional way, but will last a long time.

Here is what I did:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-Bronco-351-4x4-Code-name-Esperanza-tp9221p139156.html

And painted:

1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Gimmeagig
Butyl rubber can be removed with paint thinner if you ever need to. Kilmat is one of the butyl sound deadener products I found to be among the cheapest but it's not advertised AS butyl (which is weird because it's superior to asphalt). For additional protection you can place desiccant packs throughout your cab, just not in direct contact with metal surfaces.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
I'll look into the Kilmat deadener mats. If I put those mats down no moisture can get to the metal underneath , right? Except from the other side. I'l use CRC marine rust inhibitor for that.  I don't know what those packs are you mentioned.
The carpet I bought goes from the back to the front in one piece so it would be held in place by the seat bolts. I'm thinking about cutting the carpet into two pieces and use velcro to keep it from sliding. That way I can keep an eye on any moisture or rust issues without having to remove the seat bench every time.
besides I'm 67 it's not that the truck has to last another 40 years LOL
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I used this from Amazon. It is a butyl and was very inexpensive.

https://noico.info

Don't forget a set of decent rollers as all of these need to be rolled to get good adhesion. When I decent, I mean metal roller with proper bearings. I had one with no bearings and it went in the trash..
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
Thank you, I'll do that.
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed