classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bummer...

Ford F834
Administrator
That actually is a nice looking bumper David. The angles look good with this body style... although it wouldn’t do much in an animal collision. Scott, your bumper and grille guard look effective, but it’s a little like driving around with a fence on the front of the truck (which I guess is the point). 😐 I like the clean factory look of the front end, especially 80/81, but I guess a guard looks better than my wrecked truck does now 😥

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha yeah I think my abides by form follows function so doesn't give too much in the aesthetic department.
I really like those bumpers and agree that they fit the body style well. Looks like there are a lot of options to be had (how deep is the pocketbook) but not sure if they are all available for every application.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
I'm not a fan - they look like every other chiselled bumper, and they don't seem to be any more-suited to a bullnose than to a Jeep or tube buggy.  I've looked inside several of that style (not that brand), and they're just a random skin with whimpy mounts.  One of them, I had to figure out how to re-attach it after I ripped it out of the truck's frame.  So before paying that kind of money, consider designing & building your own.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I like the chiseled look, but I don’t like the round holes (presumably for fog lights). It is very expensive. I would not pay that, I would rather fabricate my own. And I agree, you can build a tank up front but if it’s not attached well it may just add to the damage if you hit something.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The chiseled look is
(A) a result of press brake and flat plate weldment fabrication.
(B) geometry. A triangle is the only polygon that cannot distort.

So they are able to use a lighter gauge steel and keep it stiff.
Fit up is simplified.
Only have to weld a straight line.

There are a bunch of options over there: square holes, grille protection, light bars, etc.
$1200 & up is way more than I'd ever spend, and I know shipping and 'made in the USA (by immigrants)' is expensive.

I will say this, push bumpers are very solidly mounted. When you have to shove a rollover out of traffic they better be!

There was a time not long ago when farmers and ranchers would just shoot the burros and mustangs, then poison their carcasses to kill coyotes, puma, buzzards, etc.
Cyanide was easy to find around gold placer mining.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834

This does not speak well for tube construction grille guards. Or maybe it was just mounted badly and he guard itself contributed to the damage? This was a deer collision according to the Facebook post.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Somehow, the deer was passing and clipped a corner?  

Because, a deer isn't going to pull the bumper forward and down from a frontal impact.
Where is all the flesh and fur?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Don't know about the lack of organic matter but they may have pulled the bumper out so they could drive it.

All in all, it doesn't look too bad really. The headlight guard attachments like that can't take much force due to the leverage applied.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Its a brush guard, not impact protection.

If a deer folded the bumper clear into the tire, then I'd say the brush guard did a damn good job of fending off the hit.

You know if that was an animal, it would look like a crime scene.
If they went through and picked off every bit of fur and scrubbed every  drop of blood, but didn't cut the bumper off or pull off the broken amber lens the OP is stupider than the dead animal.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by kramttocs
The only thing structural in those pics is the tow-bar attachment base.  Everything else is cosmetic, including the chrome "bumper".

It looks to me more like the driver backed over something that caught between the bumper & GG, and then mangled both as he continued backing off it.  But not a deer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks for the replies. There was not one speck of blood or fur on my truck, but I hit a donkey, not a deer, and in no way ran “over” it... if this wasn’t a deer then I won’t read too much into the guard effectiveness. Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
IDK for sure, but every time I've wacked Bambi there was plenty of evidence.

Once, when I was a kid, my mother nailed a decent buck with her station wagon.
The buck got up (with a piece of chrome stuck in his side, like a spear) and bounded off into the woods.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, I have heard and seen some amazing things with elk hits in the Flagstaff area. They are some crazy tough animals is all I have to say... I am hoping the poor donkey I hit was also tough like that 😔

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Burros are tough critters.
They wouldn't survive the desert if they weren't.
But a broken bone or internal hemorrhage will spell their end.

The only time I've ever seen elk in the wild was in the early '80's when I drove my partners stuff out to Evergreen right near Jackson WY.
I guess the National Elk Refuge is nestled in there between Yellowstone and Teton parks?
 Jim,