Bully vs Blunty differences

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bully vs Blunty differences

RenoHuskerDu
I'd labored under a false impression that most parts are interchangeable.  But yesterday we noted that outer driver window rubber trim differs by about .5", the Bullnose being longer.  Beds also have creases that don't quite line up if you swap one onto the other. And those taillights that look so similar, on closer inspection have different profiles.

Has anybody compiled a list of differences?  We have a Blunty parts truck now, ready to donate organs to its older brother. Bullies are harder to find without rust.

Is the firewall and clutch pedal box stronger on a Blunty, or does it also require bracing?
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bully vs Blunty differences

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The going moniker for the 1987+ trucks is Bricknose.

I don't know of any list of differences.  But we have a thread on Interchange that tries to set out things that are the same.

As for the pedal box, they are different between Bulls and Bricks and do not interchange.  Parts within them do, but not the box/casting.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
There is some good info in this thread on using a 87+ cab for a cab swap. Member Salans7 has been through the process and pointed out quite a few differences:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cab-swap-td47593.html#a47643
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It still requires a stiffner (at least mine did)

But I caught it before it got too bad, and only had to use the small triangular brace.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The doors differ in the main and vent windows. (None of that interchanges)
In the lower rear of the door jamb is a belt retractor button, and a corresponding dimple in the door.
(In '87-91 trucks the retractor moved to the bottom of the B pillar)

I never saw a problem with the cab and bed lining up.
The wheel arches are arches on the bricknoses

The smooth taillights with wraparound reverse lights are an improvement IMO.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I think the youthful FB crowd has a fascination with blunts. It's some kinda drug thing.

I like Bricknose better myself.

Wilco.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.