Bullnose diesel addiction is a serious thing.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bullnose diesel addiction is a serious thing.

MagooInFL
This post was updated on .
I seriously have an addiction to the 6.9 and the 7.3 motors.
I was born into a "Chevy family", don't judge me.
But somewhere along the way thru an odd turn of events I bought what I thought at the time was a steal on a 1986 F250 4x4 dually with the 6.9.  It was not running when I bought it, but it was so easy and so much fun getting it to run, when I heard it fire up after many years of sitting I was addicted to the sounds, the smell, and smoke!  Since then Ive managed to buy 7 other non-running 6.9s and 7.3s.  I love the challenge and the thrill of bringing one back from the dead after many years.

I currently have:
1986 F350 6.9 4x4 C6 regular cab long bed - I bought this from the ORIGINAL OWNER!
1986 F350 6.9 4x4 C6 regular cab with a Knapheide Service Bed
1985 F250 6.9 4x4 C6 regular cab dually with a steel flatbed with a gooseneck hitch in the bed
1987 F350 7.3 4x2 E4OD regular cab dually 10ft wooden flatbed.

I wish I could keep them all, but the '87 and the service body pickup are being refurbished to be sold.  I love the dually with the gooseneck hitch, but I really want to eventually find the same but in the F350 for the solid front axle.

I search Craigslist EVERY NIGHT for non-running Bullnose with the diesel motor.  Not much into buying gas motors, but if its a one ton with a diesel AND 4x4 under $3k I gotta have it!

Thanks for the ad!  Love the forum, so much great info and a sense of community.
My current collection consists of nine projects in various stages:
1986 F350 6.9 4x4 C6 regular cab long bed - I bought this from the ORIGINAL OWNER!
1985 F250 6.9 4x4 C6 regular cab dually with a steel flatbed with a gooseneck hitch in the bed
1981 Mercedes Benz 300D with OM617 Diesel - my current daily driver
195? Willys CJ3B - my future project - Not sure what I am going to do with this.
1985 Mercedes Benz 300TD diesel station wagon - had plans to pull the motor for a Jeep build or something.
1975 GMC C20 with big block 350 - bought this for the motor - not sure what I am going to do with it.
1978 Mercedes Benz w116 with OM617 diesel - bought this to chop the body up and make it look like the bat mobile  - this project is on the way back burner.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bullnose diesel addiction is a serious thing.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!    Glad you found us.

But, you don't have an addiction.  You are just doing your part, one (several?) truck(s) at a time, to save good old American iron from oblivion.  That's our mantra, and we are sticking with it - else all of us would have to admit to an addiction.  

Are you into building the engines up?  Jonathan/FordF834 is working on one that will be quite stout.

Anyway, you found the right place.  A group of nice, helpful people who share a like (love?) for the Bullnose trucks.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

MagooInFL
No - I can't say that I am really into building them up (YET).

My favorite thing and what I like to do most is to buy a Bullnose with the diesel that hasn't run in YEARS - The longer the better, or when they tell me they've had mechanics try to get it running but can't get it running, and bring it home and bring it back to life.

IF I could just sell it at that point and move to the next and do that once I week Id be thrilled, but there always seems to be other issues with vehicles that have been sitting that long then they hook me into wanting to fix those issues as well, I don't ENJOY the brake work, or chasing electrical gremlins, NEARLY as much as I enjoy the initial startup.

I would like to improve my welding abilities and do some rust restoration more and more as well.
My current collection consists of nine projects in various stages:
1981 Mercedes Benz 300D with OM617 Diesel - my current daily driver
195? Willys CJ3B - my future project - Not sure what I am going to do with this.
1985 Mercedes Benz 300TD diesel station wagon - had plans to pull the motor for a Jeep build or something.
1975 GMC C20 with big block 350 - bought this for the motor - not sure what I am going to do with it.
1978 Mercedes Benz w116 with OM617 diesel - bought this to chop the body up and make it look like the bat mobile  - this project is on the way back burner.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The others are waiting for me to say it.  I liken these trucks to onions.  We peel them, layer by layer, and cry.  But eventually we have a mess of onion rings!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by MagooInFL
A guy after my own heart... some people say I’ve been drinking the kool aid from the gas pump with the green handle ha ha... but there is something about the way these engines run. They just have a personality that I like. I seem to be in the minority but there are a few like us 😉
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!

I don't know, sounds like an addiction...

Dang it! Now you got me thinking I need to find another diesel Ford!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
In reply to this post by MagooInFL
Welcome!! Great to see that you're bringing these old trucks back to life! You are doing a great service even if it's not a full restoration, getting it running is a major step. Hopefully they will go to a good home. I love it when I see a bullnose going down the road..
Kevin 84 F-150 300 i6 Manual 3 speed overdrive 2.47 rear end