Bronco Roof refresh

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
41 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bronco Roof refresh

Gsmblue
Finally started to tackle the Bronco roof. We hit 23F this morning, it is still dry thankfully. We will be up in the low 80s later in the week. I need to get this done!

The current plan is:

Remove all the rubber seals (done)
Remove the windows as they are cracked. I am replacing them with a JY find they have a horrible gold tint!
Scrape down all the seal surfaces
Eraser wheel any last bits of rubber/glue.
Wash it all down and give it a good scrub in and out.
Tape off the areas that will have the new seals.
Rustoleum hammer finish in white on the outside only, to match the current textured finish.
Install new seals with contact adhesive.

Does this sound reasonable? Should I do something else?

Thanks!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bronco Roof refresh

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, but - what are you going to use to "wash it all down"?  I like to use O'Reilly's brake cleaner to prep things.  However, if you are doing this on the fiberglass top I'm not sure that's a good idea.  Instead, maybe rubbing alcohol?

Also, do the new seals not come with their own adhesive?  3M's weatherstrip adhesive would be my choice if they don't.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I was going to use isopropyl for the fiberglass, after a good scrub with soap and water and a blue scotch pad. I think blue is the softest.

No adhesive with the new seals, I will pop out and get some 3m, thanks!

Today I will clean and hopefully paint, tomorrow should be seals and maybe windows..

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a good plan.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Had about 1/3 of an eraser wheel so I used it up. Need to go to the store and get another tomorrow. I am hoping I can get all the gunk off and pull the windows tomorrow..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's progress and, as Jim says, progress is good!  

Is the bottom that you are working on fiberglass or metal?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
All about progress, take a big project and break it up into small projects...

It is fiberglass for sure. Looking forward to getting it spiffed up!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Gsmblue wrote
...they have a horrible gold tint!
I like those windows because they keep more heat OUT.  But if you're getting "UP" to 23°F...
Gsmblue wrote
Wash it all down...
At 23°F???
Gsmblue wrote
Install new seals with contact adhesive.
I'd use either weatherstrip adhesive, or E6000.
Gsmblue wrote
Should I do something else?
The window gaskets don't use adhesive, but they & the non-adhered surfaces of all the others need silicone lubricant or grease to keep them pliable, and to prevent them from sticking to the paint.  It also helps them seal because they can relax into position sooner.  This photo album describes R&Ring the camper & windows:

Gary Lewis wrote
Is the bottom that you are working on fiberglass or metal?
The only metal in '78-91 Bronco campers is the tiny "roll bar" in the rear arch, shown in this & the NEXT few pics:

'92-96s have a full steel cage inside the fiberglass, visible at the rear mounting bolts, and those at the top front outboard.  It passes above the windows to reinforce the rear shoulder belts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes - step by step you can accomplish almost anything.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Steve83
Thanks Steve!

Overnight low was 23, will hit a high of 80 later this week, so still got some good weather for painting etc..

One side window is cracked so I got a second roof (beige with roof bar mounts that I don’t like) from the JY for $100 with good glass. I will swap both side windows out as the “new” glass has a slight mirror tint applied and I want them to match. I will see how it looks but may re do the tint later for a more standard black tint,

I have silicone spray and weather strip adhesive at the ready, just need another eraser wheel to finish the de gunking...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve, your pics reminded me the chrome trim is shot on my windows... replacements have been ordered! This roof should look nicely reconditioned soon enough..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
If any of your old seals are suspect, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using some 3m bedding compound. This material is what Ford has used for many decades to seal rubber gaskets to the body. Primary, I know of it because of the Mustang restoration as that is what Ford used. But it was in many vehicles and I use it whenever I feel the need. What is unique about it is that it is non-hardening . .wel at least for 30-40 years  :)  After that, it does get brittle.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Finished cleaning up all the old gunk as best I could. I pulled the broken side window, I was not very careful as it was already busted, would have come out easier with some lubrication!

I will pull the other window tomorrow (carefully) and the 2 good windows from the spare top.

All the seals around the windows look really good. I will clean and lube them anyways.

Hopefully I can paint tomorrow.... then I can reassemble on Friday.. this is taking longer than I though!

Rain due on sat night...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It always takes at least twice as long as I think it will - even when I allow extra time.  But, when the job is done it sure feels good.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I pulled the second window out of the top. It cracked! Grrr...

This made me really nervous about pulling the 2 good windows from the donor roof.. I had used a lot of soapy water and all that stuff, but I think my technique was poor, despite following the advice from Steve..

So, I picked up my can of silicone spray and my curved pick, put the donor roof on end and went to work on lubricating those pesky seals!

I got through a fair about of silicone spray, worked it well into the rubber seals, down to the fiberglass. This worked well as both windows popped out without an issue! They have the rubber trim without the chrome insert, the original roof has the seals with the chrome insert. I have ordered the chrome insert....

With the donor glass safely lent up against the house, covered in silicone spray! I moved back to the original roof. I dumped 2 cans of Rustoleum on it, hardly made any coverage.... The wife is grabbing 3 more for me today..

The replacement chrome inserts arrive on Monday, so I think I can still get the roof painted today and the seals on tomorrow morning before the rain comes tomorrow PM/Sunday AM... I think I will just plastic bag the windows until the replacement chrome strip arrives, then on Monday I can clean up the windows and put them in... with a lot more silicone!

Here is a pic after 2 cans of rustoleum, you can clearly see the areas that need more coverage..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  Do you have to replace the cracked window?

On the chrome piece, is it the lock like on the sliding rear window?  If so,  hold the windows be put in without the lock?

As for the paint, it is thin but surely 3 more cans will fix that.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
donor roof had 2 good windows, I got those liberated, so all good.

And yes, it is the lock type so I will wait for the replacement strip to arrive before putting the windows in, should be monday.... I still plan on putting the roof on tomorrow and add the windows later..

Never ending..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
More onion rings.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Yeah, onion rings give me gas!!!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm tempted to ask if that's why the top's been off, but won't.