Bronco Quarters?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bronco Quarters?

goodsoup
Hey all, I have an 86 Bronco project that I'm hoping to get on the road this spring/summer. My biggest obstacle right now is the rust - I'll make another post about my rotten rockers and "cab corners", but for now I'm curious about the quarter panels.

I should also mention that I've never welded a body panel in my life, so I'll be challenging myself to learn a new skill this summer.

Anyway, I'm yet to find a complete quarter for the bullnose broncos, the best I could find is either a patch that just covers the wheel arch, or a couple places which sell that section plus a few inches on either side. Problem is that my entire quarter is garbage, and so are my welding skills.

So I've heard of people welding the 87-96 style quarters on, but my understanding is that the body lines wouldn't match the rest of the truck. I'm thinking of going this route for the peace of mind (and hiding my beginner welds easier), but I'd like to keep the bullnose grille as well as I could. Is it possible to swap the doors and fenders from a bricknose truck onto a bullnose? Have any of you guys done something similar? (Or better)?
1986 Bronco 5.0/AOD, aka "The Guzzler"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bronco Quarters?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  

Before I get into body panels, let me ask if you read the guidelines in the New Members Start Here folder as requested in the email?  I ask because people usually post in that folder about themselves, but I see that our intro email wasn't clear about where to post so you may not have caught that.  Anyway, if you haven't read the guidelines please do.

And, where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a town/city.  Perhaps you are close to one of us?

Now, to the body panels.  Tabco makes the best panels, but I don't know if they have what you are looking for.

As for swapping Bricknose onto a Bullnose, that can surely be done as people swap the other way all the time.  But I've not done it so I'll let others chime in who know better.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

goodsoup
My apologies! I'll do that as soon as I can. I usually lurk this forum, so I'm not completely new here, but I'm definitely new to posting.

I'm from Carman, Manitoba, Canada. I'd be thrilled to know of any other enthusiasts nearby, as I see most guys here are based in the US and shipping stuff across the border tends to be costly.
1986 Bronco 5.0/AOD, aka "The Guzzler"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No problem.  The email wasn't clear on where to post, although it has now been changed.

In any event, you are now on the map.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  

Before I get into body panels, let me ask if you read the guidelines in the New Members Start Here folder as requested in the email?  I ask because people usually post in that folder about themselves, but I see that our intro email wasn't clear about where to post so you may not have caught that.  Anyway, if you haven't read the guidelines please do.

And, where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a town/city.  Perhaps you are close to one of us?

Now, to the body panels.  Tabco makes the best panels, but I don't know if they have what you are looking for.

As for swapping Bricknose onto a Bullnose, that can surely be done as people swap the other way all the time.  But I've not done it so I'll let others chime in who know better.

Are the front fenders not the same as the F-Series? If so there are options available.

RA also sells fenders.

Rocker panels

and tailgates for Broncos

LMC has these too but they also have the rear quarter panels
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
just realized I clicked on the rear quarter for 87+. Is this the part your looking for though?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by goodsoup
Tabco makes 60158 R&L, which is the whole quarter of a Bronco 28" high. (ie. to the middle of the body crease)

https://tabcoparts.com/pickup-trucks/ford/pickup-bronco-1980-1998/60158.html

The body lines match but the wheel opening in 80-86 is flat on top, and on the bricknose trucks the wheel opening is arched, as you can see above.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.