classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Broken Bellhousing Case

Shankles McBullnose
Original break up top. New wing on the right snapped

81 F150 with a 460 here. Slowly working on the truck and was attempting to put the engine and tranny back together when I ended up snapping the right wing on the c6  Bellhousing. Bolt hole up top had already been broken when I bought so now it's down two places to mount. Is it pretty much scrap at this point or could it be sold or something? I have had my mind set on doing a zf5 switch to manual possibly but just to trying to see if anyr could be done with this c6 now that this happened. Any thoughts appreciated!
81 F150 460/C6 600 cfm Holley
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Broken Bellhousing Case

salans7
You can get used bare cases on Ebay for between $200 and $300. If you're familiar with transmissions, you can swap the internals into the new case. You could also pay a transmission shop to do it, but that may be costly.

Buying a used C6 is a gamble due to the age of these trucks and you never know how well they were taken care of.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Shankles McBullnose
You found out the hard way why you dont use the bolts to pull the motor & trans together

Do you have the part that broke off?
Is that also the part the pin fits into?
You could pull the trans and take it to a welder and have them weld it back in place.

If I was going to do that I would want to make sure it was lined up before welding.
The best way would be if the block was bolted to the trans but I cant really see that happening so ....

I think I would pull the flex plate and pull the motor plate and use that in place of the block and run nuts & bolts thru the plate and trans.
If you can get the pins out of the motor or get a 2nd set and run them thru the plate and trans to make sure it is lined up before welding.
Or if you have a 2nd motor plate you would not need to pull yours off.

The only other thing would be to get another case and swap / rebuild it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
I think I did it as I was jacking the trans up and it was being pressed against the firewall. I do have the part and Ill take the welding path into consideration thanks! I have a lift and a place I can marry the two outside of the truck so I will definitely do that soon. As of late, I have been getting back into bringing this thing back to life and realizing the variety of parts I have. Lot of research to make sure I have what I need and know what to do to avoid rookie mistakes like this going forward...
81 F150 460/C6 600 cfm Holley
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Aluminum castings (or castings in general) are a crap shoot when it comes to welding. Some castings will not weld... and any oil/crap absorbed by pores in the casting will cook out (along with all sorts of casting impurities) and can totally wreck things. Since this was a sudden break (not an old fatigue crack), maybe it hasn't absorbed too much (depends on how good the casting surface finish is and how much oil exposure it saw; no rear main or input shaft leaks?). Not a suggested beginnner's aluminum welding project!

Good luck...
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yea not a beginnner's aluminum welding project but a welder that dose welding all the time.
I have seen other transmission welded on so I cant see why his could not be welded but only the welder can make the final call.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100