Bricknose/Aeronose Bed Into a Bullnose Bed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bricknose/Aeronose Bed Into a Bullnose Bed

85pig
Has anyone actually grafted the squared-opening patch panels for a bullnose bed onto a later brick or aeronose bed?  I'm contemplating trying this, but my problem lies with verification: about half of the internet experts say the body lines are exactly the same, other than the wheel opening, the other half of the internet experts say they are NOT quite the same, and there may be some mismatch. My bed could be patched, but it has significant rust around the openings and the rear corners. so there is quite a bit of work involved in it.  Bullnose beds around here are either vaporware, or in just as bad of shape as mine, so looking for another angle.  Thanks.
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bricknose/Aeronose Bed Into a Bullnose Bed

85lebaront2
Administrator
I replaced my 1986 bed with a later model one, primary reason being lack of available 1985/86 Dually beds but plenty of 1987-97 ones, body lines didn't seem too different, in fact the 1986 fenders fit perfectly, but the wheel arch opening is different. Taillights are close, but a little different and the later ones are brighter.

NOTE: 1985 up the rear track width on the Dually changed, inner rear wheel is at the same track width as a single rear wheel truck, allowing a full width bed inside dimensions matching a single rear wheel, but it makes the truck wider overall.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85pig
The filler necks are different....

You will get the 'upgraded' -fill through the center- fillers, but you need to take the Bullnose vent retainer collars out of the neck of the fuel tanks.

I suppose you could just smash them flat if you have a pair of Big Azz Channelocks.
(Yes, that's the ACTUAL model!)

The inner (fill) hose has to hang.
It will hang up on that ring if you don't do something 
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The bed lines match.

The tailgate can be swapped.

The taillights are different, but the opening and mounting is the same.
So, it's up to you if you want better backup lights and a smooth corner use the Bricknose taillights.
If you want it more Bullnose, use the '80-'86 taillight housings.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I have that pr. when I saw the name on the pkg, they had me!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I like my Kinpex better, but I haven't seen a pair this big.

Plenty of leverage, no chance of spark....💡
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
when I was doing hvac service I had as many as ten different sizes of Channellock's from 6" to the big azz. we referred to them by their model numbers mostly. the 420s fit my hand so naturally that I used them more than any other.  other than the lost or stollen I have them still.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I believe I found that the tailgates physically will fit, but the hardware (hinges and latches) are different. I think I remember the 1986 tailgate latches were the plunger style where the 1987 up are the same as the safety door latch Ford introduced in 1963.

You might be able to make it work, I didn't bother with Darth's original tailgate as I used an open grille 5th wheel specific tailgate at that time. I was able to score a nice XLT tailgate later.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Early bull knows have hinges, instead of calling.
The bricknose trucks have a pin, a post like a door striker...
The latches can be made to work.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
I carry the little ones with the offset jaws that fit nuts in the right side pocket of my dickies carpenter jeans, along with a utility knife...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
One thing to keep in mind is that the brick/aeronose beds don't have the same lines on the top of the bed rail, nor do they have the same shape above the taillights. It doesn't affect the fitment but may look different to you after swapping.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are lots of pictures of Bricknose beds mounted behind Bullnose cabs.
The body lines match .
I know I've posted a few.

A year and a half ago (October) there was a really clean white one from the Folsom Home Depot parking lot on McDade Blvd. when I was down fixing my sister's house in Swathmore, PA. before she moved to SC.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, Darth's bed is from an Aeronose (1996), body lines still seem to match.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Why mess with success?
ETA: 96 dually..... Which is NOT from a 150.
Like I said above, 250/350 trucks kept the body style through 97. There were NO 98 250/350's, and then came the Superduty for 99.

The new trucks are higher, because of side impact regulations.
Look at how thick the pillars are and how tall the doors are...

There's no way you could ever reach over the side of even an F-150, today...
 Jim,