classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brake Pad Testing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just saw this on Facebook, shared by Chris McGaugh. What are your thoughts?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Brake Pad Testing

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I subscribe to EE on YouTube.
It keys well with my geek gene and my facination with practical application of material science.

I did my own little brake friction testing this morning.
I drove to work with the parking brake set!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I think this is true of a lot of things. Stick to OEM consumables like plugs and pads.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This was obviously geared towards beginners, and those who are just starting to get into brake function. I could see something like this being played at Autozone or O'reilly.

It was an interesting watch, but there are quite a few other variables that relate to brake fade and performance than what was mentioned in the video.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You should have experienced my 66 Shelby, in cold weather I would deliberately drive it about 3 or 4 blocks with the parking brake on to heat of those 10 X 2 1/2 metallic rear brakes. They were designed for high heat and lack of it = little or no rear brakes in the cold (say 20° F).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It's definitely dumbed down for the YouTube audience.

There have been major improvements in friction material in the last few decades, since asbestos was banned.

Organics tend to be grabby when wet.
Metallic can be too abrasive, and poor when wet.
Ceramics, and ceramic/organic/metallic blends seen to be good compromise.

I'm using Motorcraft severe duty pads up front, and (I think) Raybestos shoes in the rear.
Obvs, I need to address them now.

ETA, and I need to have a look at my parking brake switch.
Most likely the thing has shifted or the little flag connector has come loose.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I thought maybe you had Bill's metallics in the rear and were just heating them up.  

Hopefully they aren't hurt.  And, I hope the Motorcrafts are good ones - have the same set awaiting installation, as you know.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
I have no complaint with the SD pads.
Consistent bite wet or dry, long lasting with little dust, and they don't eat rotors.

I don't know about hydroboost, or how they work with higher line pressures, but I think you will like them.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wasn't doubting you, Jim.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I didn't feel any need to defend my position.
I was just admitting that I don't have any experience with the Motorcraft pads and hydroboost.

I'm sure you will give us the full report when Big Blue is back on the road.
 Jim,