classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brake Pad Recommendations

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Two years ago I did a 4 wheel brake job on the '84... and the front pads I used (Centric PQ Pro, semi-metallic) don't seem to be up to task. They were a poor fit (had to file down the ears), they've always made intermittent noise at low speeds, and to be honest it seems like I have to push my brakes a bit harder than I'd prefer to get an adequate amount of braking force. Nothing that's a show stopper, but they are annoying.

I've had better luck with the Duralast Gold Ceramic pads on my 1995 Ranger... but before I go there with this, I figured I'd ask what you've had good (or bad) luck with.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Brake Pad Recommendations

ratdude747
I've heard EBC Yellow Stuff pads are good... at least on *cough* Chevy GMT400's *cough*.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ebc-dp41265r/make/ford/model/f-150/year/1984

But at $150 a set, yikes . Duralast Gold's are only $42 a set (and in stock locally no less!).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
If you’ve had good luck with the Duralast Golds, I’d say go for it. Especially local and easier to warranty.

I usually go to NAPA, I use to work at one years ago. And I often could remember who made the parts for them.

But, I’ve gotten enough bad parts from everywhere, that I will shop around and try to find OEM if the prices are reasonable.

I try to shop local, but sometimes it’s hard to find what I want.

Edit: Hey now, I’ve got a couple of GMT-400’s!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
back when I had a 1995 e150 for my ac business I was set on getting brake pads from the ford dealer in the plain brown box with the ford label. they never disappointed. after the first 300k miles I started using store brands and never was happy. too much dust, too much wear, etc. not worth the savings for me and certainly not worth paying more for.
that said I never get too picky about them on the lighter trucks. I don't buy "cheap" either way. oem at the minimum. getting rotor /pad sets is a great idea as not many places like to turn rotors very much
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
sorry .. don't like to
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
I wish all brake pads came with a tested friction coefficient (Mu)

I know my truck is much heavier than yours.
I rely on Motorcraft Severe Duty pads now after too many bad experiences (fit, quality)
They don't seem to eat rotors and last a good long time while behaving predictably in all conditions.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I am using what ever Auto Zone gave me when I asked for pads, nothing fancy that I asked for.
I also running AZ calipers and rear shoes.
I dont have a lot of dust but then I wash the truck almost every weekend before shows so how much dust can it have with maybe 300+ miles in a week?

I do have what feels like the right front caliper grab / lock at the last little bit of stopping but it dose not pull when braking and if you roll back you can feel it unlock.
If I dont roll back I dont feel it is "locked" when driving so I have not looked into it.

And before you ask yes ALL the rubber hoses were replaced as part of the truck / brake system rebuild.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100