Bottom windshield seal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bottom windshield seal

T Doorly
I just bought an 86 F150  and I noticed when I close the door the wiper on the drivers side jumps up.  It seems when the door is closed the inside air pressure pushes the bottom of the windsheild out.  I've been careful since then as to not break the windshield.  I will also leave the windows dow a little to release the pressure.  I don't know yet if this is a serious problem with rot in the windsheild channel or just that the seal is dried up and separated from the frame.  I'm sure it will be a leak problem.   has anyone else had a problem like this? and how was it fixed?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bottom windshield seal

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That doesn't sound good.  But have you determined that the windshield is moving?  Might it be air coming out of the cab and pushing the wiper?  Do you have any water leaks?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
That doesn't sound good.  But have you determined that the windshield is moving?  Might it be air coming out of the cab and pushing the wiper?  Do you have any water leaks?
Are you thinking the cabin air is being pushed out the cowl causing the wiper to move?
My gut says no way, it is coming out between the glass and the butyl seal hitting the molding and to the wiper.

What needs to be done is the molding pulled off, there is a tool for this, the area cleaned as I am sure it is full of dirt.
When cleaning that also clean the cowl area all the way down to the bottom of the fenders where the drains are.

Once the area is cleaned you should be able to see if it is the butyl seal. It could also be the butyl seal at the body.
You can have someone pull the glass if you cant do it, there is a tool to cut the butyl seal that is not a lot of money. Once out you can clean everything better, check it out better and do any needed repairs / paint before you have the glass installed using butyl seal again as that is what our trucks came with.
They were NOT GLUED!

Talking about the butyl seal any one know what the size is? The 2 I think is common is 5/16" & 3/8".
Like to know for when the time comes to buy the kit.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by T Doorly
Standing in the open door near the hinge, put one hand on the w/s near the wiper, and the other inside between the glass & dash.  Gently push with the inside hand to find if the glass is actually loose.  If it is, check with your insurance about replacing it, but MAKE SURE THEY DON'T score your question as a CLAIM.  They do that sometimes, so be careful.
Reply | Threaded
|

T Doorly
I have checked that and the windshield can be pushed out on the bottom of the drivers side.   Fortunately I know a guy that I used to work with in a glass shop that is an expert on windshields he should be able to take it out and fix it.  I haven't discovered any leaks or wet floors yet but it has been kept in a garage since I bought it in early December.  86 XLT Lariat
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are going to have to have that done, and the sooner the better.  I fear that the metal is rotting under the windshield.    But I hope not.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
After the w/s is out, the best way to find problems is with a knotted cup brush on a 4.5" angle grinder:

NOT doing that is why so many new windshields leak - the inevitable hidden slits in the old sealant from all the cutting that has to be done to get the old ones out.  But you'll need to tape some visqueen across the inside to catch all the crud the grinder flings off at Warp 3.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
T Doorly wrote
I have checked that and the windshield can be pushed out on the bottom of the drivers side.   Fortunately I know a guy that I used to work with in a glass shop that is an expert on windshields he should be able to take it out and fix it.  I haven't discovered any leaks or wet floors yet but it has been kept in a garage since I bought it in early December.  86 XLT Lariat
Over time the butyl dries out and looses it's bond to the glass and you get what you have.
The rear glass on my 70 Javelin was like this when I went to pull it for the rest-o-mod.

Once out you will be able to see what you are working with and as Steve said hit it with a wire wheel.
Prep & paint before installing the glass and should be good for another 25 years.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
I think all these trucks' windshields were installed with polyurethane; not butyl.