Blinkers fixed and....... Blown fuse again.....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blinkers fixed and....... Blown fuse again.....

Pebcak
I found out that the issue was NOT the Flasher modules after following a suggestion in another post.   I R&R'd the 15A fuse and I was up and running again.  Put the Beast away for the night.

Got up this morning and was excited to drive in with 66 degrees weather!  Tried to use the turn signal and nothing....  Decided to make it to the gas station and got some fuses.  Put in a 20A for now until I can get home and have another spare in case it blows also.  Going to look for a short somewhere tonight.  Are there any ideas of common/seen areas that shorts happen that I can check?
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blinkers fixed and....... Blown fuse again.....

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The wiring at the rear of the truck would be my first place to look. It has usually been hacked by someone to get a trailer connector installed, and those connections and associated wires are frequently poorly done and not well protected.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Will do.  I'm hoping I didn't get any critters that were rummaging and chewing lately.  It's been sitting on and off for about 2 months while the weather was 100+ here in TX.  Now that it's staying in the 80's as a high each day I'm wanting to drive it every day.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pebcak
Pebcak, when you mentioned that it was 66F and the flasher stopped working, I was reminded that in my 1986, the flashers would stop in cool weather unless the engine was spinning enough to have the alternator really working. I replaced the flasher with an electronic heavy duty unit and immediately, all was good. Even @ idle speed with headlights and A/C on, the flasher works at its predetermined flash rate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
This morning is was 66F.  The last couple days it was in the 80-90's.  That's when it stopped working.  Well, This time it's a fuse.  I'll keep what you've said in mind for the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I agree with Gary on the rear, trailer wiring. Saturday I fixed a mess in my F250.

Also I've seen the wiring for the turn signal switch rub on the steering wheel and blow the fuse.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona