Blinker puzzler

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blinker puzzler

RenoHuskerDu
Often, the right brake light on our 86 in sig below does not come on with the left brake light. Not sure when this problem started, as we only see it if somebody in the family is following that truck.

But after actuating the blinkers, it fixes itself. For a while.

I reason that the fault must be in the blinker switch on the stalk. We recently installed a new plastic detent spring from fleabay to correct the blinker not staying on unless held on.  Anybody BTDT?
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blinker puzzler

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have had similar problems with Ford and Chrysler turn signal switches. Problem seems to be a combination of wear and oxidation of the contacts in the switch. I would try some contact cleaner (Radio Shack used to have a good one) and spray it in and work the switch (you will need to remove the wheel to get at it fully). Beyond that it becomes new switch time.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blinker puzzler

Gsmblue
I will second the contact cleaner. I use that stuff all the time when I pull any connector apart. Sometimes a lil dialectic grease will go on after cleaning, depending on the application..
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"