Blacked out grill inserts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blacked out grill inserts

T Doorly
 I've seen a number of Bull Nose Trucks with Blacked out Grill inserts , (if thats what you call it ).  Did these trucks come that way originally from the factory or is this custom painted by the owners.  Mine is a flat grey color. I would like my 86 to have this look but it seems like it would be a job to mask off all of the chrome to do so.  But worth it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blacked out grill inserts

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There were several grilles, and they varied by year, as shown here: Exterior/Exterior Trim And Moulding and then the Grilles, Moulding, & Headlight Doors tab.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by T Doorly
No, they did not come that way from Ford.  The chrome and argent grilles had gray (argent) inserts. The only grille that had black (dark charcoal) inserts was the black (dark charcoal) painted grille, which was all one color.

What color is your radiator core support?  

Most radiator core supports were painted black, but I have seen some that were painted gray and others were painted the same color as the body.  If it isn't black - and you paint your grille inserts black - the radiator support color will show from the front of your truck.  Also, most radiators are aluminum colored, so that will show as well.

Gray inserts will "hide" the components that are behind the grille better than black.  If you paint the inserts black, you would also need to paint everything behind it black as well for it to look right.  

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
LARIAT 85 wrote
No, they did not come that way from Ford.  The chrome and argent grilles had gray (argent) inserts. The only grille that had black (dark charcoal) inserts was the black (dark charcoal) painted grille, which was all one color.
I was wondering that about the grills and inserts myself. I've seen lots of these in pictures, but if they're all aftermarket that makes sense. I know LMC and NPD sell them, etc.

I have the black (dark charcoal grill) in my truck now. It looks black I guess, but it's not really black. I bought it from a local guy that used to work at Ford and has collected a lot of old parts. I have no idea what it came out of, other than obviously an 82-86 model.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by T Doorly
I have the black ones for the headlights from LMC. They have a chrome and black grill too but I just painted my grill black until I scratch up the cash for the chrome and black but I like it so well I’ll probably just leave it black. I think LMC lists the black parts as Bronco and the gray as F-150, not sure if that’s true or not.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six