Best way to go about getting various bolts & screws.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best way to go about getting various bolts & screws.

jstone4646
I likely need a small bucket of bolts and screws to finish putting my 84 back together, everything from a few fender bolts, to hood hinge and hood spring bolts, tailgate latch bolts....some interior bolts.  Curious if Ford pretty well used a standard for the majority of bolts or if there are any publications out there that could list out bolt sizes....OR....should I just make a shopping list and hit the nearest junkyard?
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best way to go about getting various bolts & screws.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Check out the pages buried here: Fasteners & Illustrations/Front Clip.  There are pages under that which have illustrations with blue boxes, which are hot links.  Click on them to be taken to a picture of the fastener and, frequently, a part number and source.

But that won't cover everything, so let me know what ones you are missing and I'll see what I can do for part numbers and sources.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by jstone4646
I can rarely ever find any usable parts or fasteners at the Junkyard, so I'll buy automotive bolts from the autoparts stores if I'm replacing something that is visible and I want to retain the flanged hex head look. If the bolts are hidden I'll use regular hex bolts. My truck is mostly all metric with the exception of the 302 and some of the chassis parts and pieces.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
jstone4646 wrote
...should I just make a shopping list and hit the nearest junkyard?
Yes.  The closer the donors are to your truck's year, the more likely the corresponding fasteners will match.  Over the years, Ford transitioned from inch-sizes to metric, as parts were redesigned & updated.  So you have to pay attention to when a part was DESIGNED to guess if it'll have inch or metric fasteners.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
AMK is the best source for OEM fasteners. Not sure how much they have for these trucks . .never l;ooked. But I use a lot of their fasteners for restorations I do.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Found this beauty at the scrap yard, got just about every fastener I needed....and I even swiped the boxes I needed for the ducting!  Truck was not really in all that bad of shape, it even had fairly new tires.  I cant believe someone did not save it before it went to the yard.

Edit: photo shows up chopped and green on my screen...odd.

Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Dang! That looks like a treasure trove!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona