classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best place to get parts

Dakotabrantley
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on restoring my grandfathers 1982 F100. I am looking for two things:
   1) chrome trim piece that goes around the headlight
   2) replacement blue oval for the grill.

Does anyone have any good places to find these items and many others for future reference?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best place to get parts

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!

The best place to get parts depends on what your plans are for the truck.  If you are doing a serious restoration you will want NOS (new-old stock) parts as they are usually better than reproduction parts.  But if you aren't doing a serious restoration then reproduction parts will probably be what you want and are usually less expensive.  Or, if you are just getting it back on the road then a good salvage may be the way to go.

If you want NOS parts you need to know the part number and then you Google for it.  Fortunately this site has many of the needed part numbers.  The headlight "door" as it is called can be found on the page Exterior/Exterior Trim And Moulding and on the Grilles, Mouldings, & Headlight Doors tab.  But I don't seem to have a page for the grille, so the emblem part # is E7TZ 9842528-A.

Or, if you want to buy reproduction parts, then Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, LMC Truck, Dennis Carpenter, or NPD.

Hope that helps.  But please share more with us about what the plans are for the truck.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dakotabrantley
Great info!!! I am not 100% how far I am going to go with the resto atm. I am sure that it will snowball as I continue to work on it. Definitely keeping it stock with a few small changes to make it unique to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Famous last words.  I sorta started "restoring" Dad's truck with that plan, and now I have a trailer queen on my hands.  

My advice is to establish a goal or plan, and stick to it at each decision point.  Otherwise scope-creep will take over and you'll be where I am.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dakotabrantley
I have been around custom and show vehicles for a while now and know what you mean. I want to stay true to what my grandfather would have done and I know it wouldn't have been super flashy. I mainly want it to be a very clean truck that will be respected for the work that has been put into it. It's very special to me
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are to be commended!  

I can only hope that my grandkids take as much interest in my special vehicles. My kids don’t, but I hope to inspire one of my two granddaughters or my grandson.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Dakotabrantley
The easiest place to look is LMCtruck.com  You can see the online catalog and also have them send you a paper version. There are lots of other places, but LMC has most of the reproduction pieces, and you can have fun looking at everything and making your decisions. Their upholstery selection is not great, there are better places. RockAuto.com is a good place for mechanical parts. I restore Mustangs for my business now. I source parts from many places, depending on what is needed, or desired from the owner as well.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I, also, recently bought an '82 Flareside F100.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Dakotabrantley
Depending where you live you can also use my go to.  Row52.com for the Pick N Pulls in your area!
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"