Best intake manifold gasket - 351W

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best intake manifold gasket - 351W

Whisler

Let's try this again since I messed up the original title.
Since I may have experienced an intake manifold failure (water leakage front and back) on my
351W with Edelbrock Performer manifold, I would appreciate your (you'alls in Kentucky) input on the best quality intake manifold gasket for same.
Also, the preferred procedure for proper installation.
What say you (you'all)?
Thanks
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best intake manifold gasket - 351W

Rembrant
Copied and pasted from your other thread:

Stock un-ported heads on this 351w? Did you say the intake was an Edelbrock Performer?

If yes, I think the Fel-Pro 1250 and 1250S3 are good choices. I don't think the Performer has an exhaust crossover, so the 1250S3 would be good imho. If you need the crossover, go with the 1250.

I use Permatex Grey around all 4 coolant ports, and both ends of the manifold at the "China walls".

I've used the fancy ARP SBF manifold bolts before, but the 5.0 I'm doing now I bought some grade 8 5/16" bolts. I bought 2.25" long bolts this time just to make sure I get lots of bite...I think the factory bolts are 2"? Probably overkill, but whatever.

Torqued to spec in 3 stages, and let it sit overnight to dry if possible.

I think it was Bill on here that suggested I use 4 long guides (long bolts with the heads cut off) to ensure you lower the manifold on to the engine perfectly square and even. They're in my tool box now;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
When I replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 351w with performer intake I used Edelbrock gaskets the first time, they failed in less than 6 months.

Second time around I used felpro. If you look at my project thread for Espy it is on page 16.

Not sure how to link to posts.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Yes, stock un-ported heads and Edelbrock Performer manifold. First install I used a Fel-pro 1250, and some type of RTV on the walls but may have installed too soon or not used enough RTV. I plan to use "install studs" this time.  
Just wondered if there was a better gasket set and the best procedure for installation.
Thanks.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the procedure already listed are good. definitely worthwhile to "stud" the four corners. one added benefit to this is the later benefit on removal. has anyone else broken the four corner bolts off and had to drill them out ? the only added quirk would be on removal it will need to come strait up . that is unless you remove and go back with bolts. and especially on the ends use anti seize.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
mat in tn wrote
has anyone else broken the four corner bolts off and had to drill them out ? the only added quirk would be on removal it will need to come strait up . that is unless you remove and go back with bolts. and especially on the ends use anti seize.
Yes. On the '96 5.0 I just rebuilt, the two corner bolts on the driver's side head snapped off. I was able to get one out, the other one I left for the engine shop. Those corner bolts are exposed to the elements on the outside, and they're the ones that see the coolant leaks first, so they always rust in place.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the advice.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've deleted your original thread.

Do you know that if you go back to the edit window of your first post you are able to edit the title as well?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
I didn't then but I do now. Thanks!
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
For the post you want to link to, go to the right side, choose 'more', then choose the bottom of the drop-down 'permalink', copy the string.
Highlight the text in your post, click link, back out the auto filled 'http' and paste the permalink into the url dialog box, click ok.

I think this is the rant you wanted to share.  ðŸ™‚
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.