Bench seat upholstery covers available anywhere?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bench seat upholstery covers available anywhere?

Pete Whitstone
Hi All, I have been searching the web for a couple days now and I can't find seat upholstery for either of the seats I have. I am not interested in cheapie "seat covers" that slip over the existing seat fabric, I am looking for actual replacement fabric that would be installed with hog rings like the factory. I found some on eBay that looked OK but were not available in blue. LMC does not seem to carry anything.

The seat choices I have are either the stock bench that came with my 81, or a bench from a 1997 F250 with the headrest humps. I kind of like the headrest humps of the later seat, and it's in far better overall condition that the 81 seat, so I'm leaning towards using it.

Provided I can find quality blue vinyl upholstery material, that is. Any leads?

Thanks!
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bench seat upholstery covers available anywhere?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - Several people have said that SMS is good to deal with.  You can see that in these posts: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Does-anyone-make-the-correct-80-86-bronco-seat-upholstery-tp5932p5949.html
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Thanks Gary. If I'm understanding what is being said in that thread about SMS, they just make the fabric, you then have to take the fabric to the upholstery shop and get the seat covers made. I'll do that as a last resort, but in my experience if you can find pre-made seat covers, it will be hundreds of dollars cheaper. So that's what I'm looking for, for now.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's what is being said.  And while you are right that pre-made will be cheaper, I doubt you'll find them.  But please let us know what you do find.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
SMS will also make you complete ready to install seat covers with the OEM material.  You will pay for it, though.  When I checked for my '83 it was over $800, which obviously doesn't include installation, new seat foam, frame/spring repairs or things of that nature.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
66gtk wrote
SMS will also make you complete ready to install seat covers with the OEM material.  You will pay for it, though.  When I checked for my '83 it was over $800, which obviously doesn't include installation, new seat foam, frame/spring repairs or things of that nature.
Yikes. I need to check upholstery shop prices I guess. Last time I used my guy was about 7 years ago, but did a great job on 2 bucket seats for my Fiat X1/9, for $600 in vinyl and $1200 in leather, and that included the door cards. Surely a bench seat is far less complex than 2 individual buckets. So unless prices have changed dramatically, $800 + foam, etc. is more than I would expect to pay. But I guess I actually need to go talk to them to find out for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Probably under $300 last I checked at rock auto.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
$224 on Rock Auto.

They are made by Acme Auto, OEM style.

Here is a link to colors http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/madridvinyl.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5787375&cc=1121656&jsn=623
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
LMC is $209

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/seats/fd-1980-86-bench-seat-kits
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Dang now how did I not find those on the LMC site? I must have looked 5 times. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
I also had checked with SMS and they had sent me some swatches and was about to order the material to redo my seat. I checked with my upholstery guy which has semi retired and gotten rid of a lot of the material he used to have and now just does it at his house. He told me he thought he still had some of the material in the color I needed so I held off and he was able to find it. It was a different pattern than what SMS had sent me but none the less still one Ford used in that day. I just got it back yesterday and put back in the truck.

Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by 81f100custom
Very nicely done!
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Dash designs, bought it from rockauto.  love it
fits perfect, i even contacted them to ask if i could get some of the material to do my door panel enlays, and they do infact sell it, rather cheap.   I paid 125 bucks for the cover.  well well worth it
you can also go factory stock at LMC truck, very expensive though
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new