Bench Seat Malfunctions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bench Seat Malfunctions

Sideflop
Got a question regarding bench seat malfunctions. A month ago, I pulled the bench seat to make things easier working on my F250's first go-round of repairs. One of those repairs was the front bench, which had been pulled from another truck that was underwater and installed into my truck some time before I bought it. So naturally, the seat was corroded and locked up, on top of the silt that covered it every square inch of it. I cleaned the seat, got a bunch of the dirt out of the tracks, and covered every moving part with white silicone grease. I reinstall the seat, having been satisfied by the improved smoothness, and now it won't stay latched. Most of the time the passenger side latches, but the driver's side is always moving around. I suspect the tracks or adjustment lever are worn out. When I push the lever to the right or push the left latch assembly into the track, the driver's side latches, but when I let go, it's back to sliding back and forth. Suggestions?
Nathan
1984 F250 XL with International 6.9L IDI, Borg Warner T19 transmission and Borg Warner 1345 transfer case. Dana 50 limited slip front end, Dana 70 open rear end with 3.73 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bench Seat Malfunctions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you sure that you have the left and right sides in the same notches?  I've gotten them out of sync and that caused similar problems to what you described.  Perhaps it makes the wire between them too short?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sideflop
I just double checked, and the sides are in line. When I pull the seat forward, the driver's latch engages, but upon releasing the seat the latch pops out just enough to not grab the track completely. I took a couple of photos pulling the seat forward and then pushing it back, in that order. It's almost impossible to tell a difference, but that's all it seems to take for the seat to come loose.

Nathan
1984 F250 XL with International 6.9L IDI, Borg Warner T19 transmission and Borg Warner 1345 transfer case. Dana 50 limited slip front end, Dana 70 open rear end with 3.73 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't remember seeing two springs on the linkage.  What happens if you take the silver spring off?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sideflop
Removed the spring this morning and the seat stays latched now. I feel like someone thought the extra spring would give the latch some tension to stay engaged or something.
Nathan
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Good call, Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sideflop
I didn't think that look correct.  Glad you got it fixed that easily.