Belated Happy Father's Day

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belated Happy Father's Day

Pebcak
Hey y'all.  I wanted to send a belated "Happy Father's Day" to everyone.

I haven't been around much since the Beast started puffing white smoke after an overheat and my son and I pulling the heads.

Life got in the way and it's just been sitting collecting dust.

Then Father's Day rolled around and my son surprised me with these...

He snuck the old heads out of the shed and took them to be looked at.  One head was ok but the other had three cracks in it.  He had them clean up and restore the one and bought another.

After showing these to me my son said "We're pulling the rest of this out today.  I've got a shop that will rebuild it for you when we're ready."

Father's Day consisted of working with my son removing the accessories and block out of the truck.  It wasn't pretty but we got it out.  Now it's save up to get the engine done.

It was the best Father's Day to date!  It was a great afternoon having my son help me with this and reignite my drive to get the Beast up and running again!

So now the block is out and on a pallet waiting to get sent to the shop. Now I'm going to tinker here and there cleaning up the engine bay and getting a list of parts together.

My son should be texting me what all the shop is doing to the engine for us.  I'll post that when I get it.

Right now my questions are something of the following.

- I would like to get another intake manifold and replace this one below.  I was shopping around and since I have a Edelbrock 1406 so I'm thinking of THIS model.  From what I've read it's not overkill for what I want to do.

- Since the engine is being redone should I get a new distributor or clean up the old one?  What should I look for or check out on it?

- New pulleys for the front of the motor for the serpentine belt?  Don't know the technical term to say.

- I'd like a new wiring harness for the compartment.  Looked around but got lost trying to find a part number of what I need.

- Anything special for the motor mounts I need to look at?

- Clean the engine bay and tidy it up where I can, do's and don'ts?

- What else should I be looking at/have I missed?

I really want to do this with my son and have some knowledge from the site and y'all when doing it.  As most of you know, I am still learning as I go.  I'd like to do this and not end up saying "Crap, I could've done this or upgraded this so easily before I was done!" over something I just didn't know to ask about.

Thanks for the time reading this y'all.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belated Happy Father's Day

Bulletproof250
Hey there Pebcak,

I'm relatively new here as well but I'll put in my 2 cents, and you can do what you want with it.

I see the truck is your Daily driver, I would replace ANYTHING that could leave you stranded, and you wouldn't be able change easily with the motor in there. Like the Motor Mounts, good idea. Things to look at would be things anywhere near to the frame- rails that look tire. I live in the northeast so we deal with a lot of Rot/Rust out here, so the brake lines would end up on mu list, al least a section from the master cylinder down to the frame-rail. Now is a great time to dress up your wiring harness and at a minimum take a look at any terminations and the wire, just before the terminations for sins of corrosion or oxidation a good indicator of a bad connection, creating some heat, and expediting the oxidation process. Nowadays with all of the weather-pack connections you could ask for on the internet, for purchase, you could convert some, or replace any in question.

OK so it might be more like 20-cents long, but it's free advice, right?

Happy Fathers day to you, looks like it'll be a memorable one!
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Pebcak
What a great Father’s Day!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
Thank you for the 20 cents.  

The good news is this vehicle has been in TX its whole life.  No rust or corrosion like up north.  Been there lived that a portion of my life.  Got the T-shirt.

It's looking like this will be a long term goal so I'm in no hurry.

Thank you again!
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pebcak
Wow!  Just WOW!  What a wonderful Father's Day!  

Getting things done on the truck is quite a joy in and of itself, but to have your son not only send the heads out and buy a replacement but to volunteer to help you pull the engine AND to have lined up a shop is over the top.  That will be a Father's Day to remember for a long, long time.

As for the intake, my understanding is that the RPM Air Gap is designed for a higher RPM range than I think you'll be using in the truck.  Instead, I'd recommend the Performer intake, of which Edelbrock used to say "Boosts torque from idle to 5,500 RPM."  However, I cannot find the Performer on their website.  

According to Summit, there are three Performer intakes for the 351W:

2181: The natural, aluminum-colored intake w/o EGR, which Summit shows for $310

21813: Black powder-coated version of the 2181, which Summit has for $419

3781: The EGR version of the 2181, which Summit has for $402

I've had good luck with the 2181, and would have thought that would be the intake for your application assuming you are not going to be running EGR - see below..  But, as said, I can't find it on their website, which I wanted to do in order to compare torque curves.  Perhaps you should call Edelbrock?

On the serpentine question, that's a really BIG question.  This link to Summit shows at least 10 pages of various "serpentine" things.  And those things go from ~$200 for pulleys alone to over $2500 for a kit.  But one to do the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor looks to be ~$750.

However, watch out for a couple of things.  First, most serpentine systems run the water pump backward, so you need a "reverse rotation" water pump.  Second, some of the kits are for a Saginaw power steering pump.  But your pump is the Ford C2 and won't bolt to a Saginaw bracket.  However, you could get a Saginaw pump, either from a van at the salvage or buy a new one, and have a better pump than your C2.

As said, this is a BIG question.  Big in $ and big in options/questions.

On the distributor, it will be worn but should be serviceable.  However, it is curved to handle exhaust gas in the air/fuel mix and if you eliminate the EGR then you'll have too much advance at part throttle when it expects the EGR system to be working.  So before deciding on a distributor you should decide whether you are going to run EGR or not.  And that question will open up lots of debate.

I don't particularly care for EGR as it puts yukky exhaust in the intake manifold and cruds things up.  But, other than that there is no downside.  And it is really illegal to remove it.  So you have to decide.  If you stay with EGR then I'd recommend the Eddy 3781 intake and stay with the old distributor.  But if you eliminate EGR then I'd go with the 2181 intake, although you could do the RPM Air-Gap, and then we need to discuss finding a new distributor with the correct advance curve.

Your call.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI