Battery cables to starter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Battery cables to starter

BullnoseSooner
So... a bit of an oddball question. Two cables going to the starter. One connects to the terminal on the starter, which I believe is the one that runs to the starter relay. The other runs to the battery terminal, which I believe was connected to the bottom starter bolt. It also appears that the negative terminal cable has a metal piece that attached to the frame (to ground it?). I can't find a cable with that bracket. Is there another way to ground it to the frame? Some kind of thing I can splice into the wire?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Battery cables to starter

Rembrant
BullnoseSooner wrote
So... a bit of an oddball question. Two cables going to the starter. One connects to the terminal on the starter, which I believe is the one that runs to the starter relay. The other runs to the battery terminal, which I believe was connected to the bottom starter bolt. It also appears that the negative terminal cable has a metal piece that attached to the frame (to ground it?). I can't find a cable with that bracket. Is there another way to ground it to the frame? Some kind of thing I can splice into the wire?
If the negative cable runs to the starter this must be a 300 inline 6 ya? I know the small blocks 302 and 351's ran to the front of the block.

Anyway, just replace the one negative cable with two cables, and bolt the two of them together where the factory one was attached to the frame. That's what I've done with several trucks. Just go to the local auto parts store and grab two negative cables that roughly make up the length of the one factory cable.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseSooner
Yessir... its a 300.

Perfect! I will do just that! Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseSooner
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I’m actually a little disappointed in myself that I was too dumb to figure that out myself πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
BullnoseSooner wrote
I’m actually a little disappointed in myself that I was too dumb to figure that out myself πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Haha, that's what forums like this are for...too ask questions! I can't take credit for the idea...I went to a local shop that does custom wiring and puts together ambulances and police cars, etc...and they told me to do that. I've done it on the last 3 Ford trucks and it works like a charm.

The auto parts shops usually have a pretty decent selection of different length pre-made cables.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
FWIW, the newer trucks, the negative cable goes directly to the lower starter bolt on the V8s and the other ground is just an 8ga wire to the ground stud near the battery on the right fender near the radiator support attaching point. You really don't need a number 4 or 6 cable going to the frame as there really isn't anything that grounds though the frame, lights, HVAC fan etc. all ground at body grounds along with the head lights.

If you look, there is a ground from the back of the engine to the wiper motor mounting area, and frequently another one to the firewall.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseSooner
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Ok, so I need some help… I blew the fusible link prior when I reversed the terminals (I know, I know… I was in a hurry)… so I replaced the fusible link, starter relay, and terminal cables.

Got everything back together and attached the battery. As soon as I attached the negative, it blew the fusible link again.

Could it be the voltage regulator?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Which link is it?
Do you only have one???
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseSooner

This one.

How many am I supposed to have? I've just now started getting into this vehicle. It was running fine before winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm looking at the '85 EVTM and it seems you should have at least three fusible links, assuming that you don't have an aux battery or EEC.
Which, depends on whether you have ammeter or idiot lights.

Sorry there is no '83 EVTM here on the site.

Have you tried to trace the one that blows to see where it's shorted out?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseSooner

I have 2 more here.

I have not tried to trace it yet.

Is it possible I killed my starter when I swapped the cables?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Those two should connect to a yellow wire and the yellow wire to a black/orange wire and another fusible link (J)at the hot relay lug (as can be seen in the diagrams I posted)

Look at circuit 38-37 and fuselink J in the ammeter diagram
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by BullnoseSooner
If you're popping fuses you've either got a ground fault or a short, and on a system like this it's gonna be real easy to find.  Start with a meter and check resistance from negative terminal to ground, make sure it's . or lower.  If it's high you need better grounds, but that's not gonna be your problem here, you just need to know what number to expect.  Next with the positive terminal disconnected, negative needs to stay connected, take readings from every connection that's positive to ground.  If you get anything other than oL or open loop, depending on the meter, you found the problem.  If not, repeat while checking to the negative battery terminal.  If your ground to terminal reading was good you won't need to do that step.

Once you find the problem, disconnect cables until you only have the problem in one place and you've got it.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseSooner
Thank you!