classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"Baruch" - The 1983 F100 Soon-to-be Work Truck

Ethobling
Hey folks.

I recently increased the number of cars I own by 100%! Impressive, eh?

Baruch is a 1983 F-100 with the 4.9L straight 6. Body has close to 300k miles, but the motor (should) have less than 100k. This is the first truck I've owned and first project vehicle I have owned. I am new to fixing cars/trucks, but I've already learned a lot with the help of a few nice folks over in my intro thread (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td39255).

So far I have:
-Replaced all rear brake hardware, cylinders, the shoes, and flushed the rear brake lines
-Cleaned and repacked the front driver's side wheel bearings along and replaced the rotor and pads (I plan on finishing the other side as soon as the parts come in)
-Successfully temporarily-probably-maybe-hopefully fixed the keeper back in place on my rear passenger size leaf spring.
-Drained the oil.

What I have left to do:
-Put in new wheel bearings on the Pass-front wheel hub, replace the caliper (which now means I need to replace the caliper on the other side), replace rotor and pads, and affix a new dust cap.
-Figure out a permanent fix on the keeper coming out from keeping the leaves together
-Put oil in the oil pan. Put a new oil pan gasket on it to keep it from leaking.
-Replace the tie rods
-Get at least 2 new tires. Probably 4. Or maybe 5. I don't know. Somewhere between 1 and 5 new tires. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Probably some other major issue I haven't found yet.

What I really want/kinda need to do:
-Replace the bed of the truck
-Adjust the idle so it isn't so low.
-Find an inspection plate for the transmission (some owner previously took it off and never put it back on).

What I would love to do:
-Paint him from beige to a nice dark forest green along with my business name on it. (This is at least a year down the road, after I get a new bed)
-Undercoat the bottom (not a huge deal, since I live in SE NC)

So, yeah. Lot's to do, but I don't mind it so long as I get it done before the spring (when I will be using Baruch heavily as a work truck carrying vegetable plants around). Long live Baruch!
Project/Soon-to-be Work Truck: "Baruch" 1983 F-100 4.9 L6
Daily Driver: "Charlotte" 1997 Taurus Wagon GL
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "Baruch" - The 1983 F100 Soon-to-be Work Truck

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Idle adjustment isn't difficult or time consuming.
Just warm the truck up and follow the directions on the emissions sticker found on the radiator support.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethobling
I take it the idle adjusting procedure will be the same for the 4.9 L6 as with the 3.8L V6? Sticker is for the V6, since that was the original motor. (So glad it has the L6)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

I'm going to drop this here.

Yes, procedure is pretty much the same.
Idle speed May differ, but I find 600 is probably ok all around.

First, check the ignition timing.

Disconnect the vacuum advance and cap the line.

Chock the wheels.
Put it in gear if automatic, neutral if stick.

Using a tach adjust the idle speed.
Check the timing.

Adjust distributor if needed.
Check idle speed again.

Rev the engine and let it settle back to idle (do this in neutral, of course)

If ignition timing and idle speed are good, you're all set.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man, I slept a little while and all "this" happened!  But it looks like you are doing well.  New thread, good posts, lots of help.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I meant to wish Baruch a happy New Year yesterday, but just got too wrapped up in my own stuff.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethobling
Thanks. I'll be sure to tell him
Since I don't have a tach, I would need to purchase one. Any recommendations as to a good, cheap, external one? Either that or maybe someone could send me an audio clip of their L6 running at idle and I could just guess?
Close enough is probably good enough, I'd imagine.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I have one of these. Works good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/diagnostic-testing-scanning/lcd-automotive-multimeter-with-tachometer-kit-95670.html
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethobling
Personally, I'm rather wary of Centech (HF brand). I've had many bad experiences in the past.
Now their 4 ton Daytona jack? I'm lovin' it and it was only $150. (I do need to figure out a way to keep the dirt off of it, since I don't have an asphalt driveway...tarps only work so well )

Side note: Going to have EPIC temps coming in 3 days! Let's just hope their isn't too much rain that comes with it...

Chance of rain for Mon-Tues is 35-50%. After it drops to 20-30%. *Crosses fingers*
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Personally, I don't have issue with Horrid Fate tools. They are what they are, and built to a price point. Quality has been getting better and better.

I suggest you look on eBay for an old tach/timing light combo.
That's what you really need anyhow.
And there are so many of these outdated tools languishing in sheds and garages they turn up cheap. (I bought a Sunnen timing light for $12!)

Estate and garage sales are another good source.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I went by to have a look at the unit in question.

It seems fine.
If you can't find a used Tach/Dwell/Timing light kit on eBay I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this useful diagnostic tool
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Personally, I don't have issue with Horrid Fate tools. They are what they are, and built to a price point. Quality has been getting better and better.

That's because they are getting more of their stuff now from the same factories as the big name guys and cutting out the middle man.

That Daytona Jack is made on the same line as the Snap-On jack that costs $700

Look at their new icon Pro line of hand tools... its red and black handles look eerily similar to Snap-On.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethobling
Snap-On should have stuck to "Made in the USA." I know some of their stuff is, but the ONLY time I would pay their price tag would be if it is made right here in the USA and if they are going to keep shifting things to China...

But, yeah. I've heard great things about the Horror Fright Daytona jacks (that's why I bought it )
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Even then it's not worth it. (And this is coming from someone with quite a few snap-on and Bluepoint tools)

They work in the sharecropper model.
Their truck comes to the dealership or garage and offers financing to employees whose paychecks they basically garnish.

If you bite at their bait (truck full of shiny tools) you are endentured.
But sometimes you 'need' that esoteric wrench or socket (10 pt Honda headbolts anyone?)

Others sacrifice their firstborn for a 12' long cabinet, and can't bear to fill it with anything but "the best".
These are the ones that go home and stroke their egos, but can't afford to have a life beyond that shop.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mac and Matco, the same, but maybe not quite as bloodthirsty.  🧛‍♂️
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I see a Tach, Dwell, Timing light kit for $50 delivered, but to me the screaming deal is this kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kal-Tunemaster-Tach-Dwell-Ign-Tester-Alt-reg-Tester-Fuel-press-Timing-Light/264402497376?hash=item3d8f9def60:g:FxMAAOSwX~9dMKYf&redirect=mobile

$50 + 23.15 shipping.
Additional: Alternator/Battery tester, Vacuum/Pressure gauge for tuning and fuel troubleshooting, spark analyzer, all in a sturdy metal tool box.

If you don't want it, I will grab it before it's gone.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethobling
Go ahead and grab it. I'll probably just adjust the idle by ear for now.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And the post is gone....

If you got a multi piece pan gasket set there will be a rubber 'U' for front (timing case) and rear (crank journal)
You need to apply silicone to the ears at each end where these meet the rail gasket at each side.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethobling
Yeah I deleted it because I realized it was a dumb question. I should have just looked at the pan better.

Thanks for the tip on using silicone.

Thanks for the link, Mr. 1986.