classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ball Joint Replacement, and?

Dyn Blin
Hello all.

If the rain persists, I'm going to tackle upper and lower ball joints this weekend.  While I'm in there, I'll also change the u-joints and check the wheel bearings.

Is there anything else I should consider replacing & make a close inspection of while I've got it apart?

Cory- If I recall correctly, you did a total front end renewal a bit over a year ago- any wisdom to impart?

It's been a while since I pulled a manual hub locker-any pointers would be appreciated.  'much obliged!
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ball Joint Replacement, and?

FuzzFace2
If I remember right Cory's is a 4x2 truck not a 4x4 that I think you have being you said U joints & hubs.

The only thing I can think of would be the replace the rubber pivot points as they are most likely as old as the truck.
Check or replace the radius arm bushings or if you have leaf springs the rubber spring mounts at each end.

Don't over look the tie rods, if they are bad they will add to play / slop in the steering.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
Cory- If I recall correctly, you did a total front end renewal a bit over a year ago- any wisdom to impart?
No wisdom really...but as Dave mentioned below, my 1984 is a 2wd. (Although I've been thinking about converting it to 4x4....save that conversation for another day...lol).

I did all four ball joints, wheel bearings and seals, inner and outer tie rods and adjusters, new axle beam pivot bushings, new radius arm bushings, and even new rubber pads under the coil springs.

I went with Moog for everything and was happy with the fit and finish of all items. I used a balljoint press from one of the local shop's free loan-a-tool program. It worked great.

I found the ball joints to be the easiest part. Those axle beam pivot bushings were a real pain.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
The captions in this album explain a few upgrades & techniques that make the job easier:

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Thank you gentlemen, 'just what I was looking for.  Also in time to shop a bit for a couple more kits before the weekend.  

Steve- great detail on the hubs in your archive- thanks.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150