classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
103 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Backyard Bullnose finds, good and bad

Rembrant
So, I've been hunting around locally for Bullnose parts (and complete trucks), and had a couple hits right off the bat. One, a free set of Flareside fiberglass fenders which was a great find. Next, I was alerted to a Bullnose sitting in a guy's yard a couple hours away. I was in the area with work today, so I was able to take a little detour to check it out.

What a sin. It's obviously been sitting there a long long time as it is sunk to the axles. Although it was brought to my attention, the person had only seen it in passing and couldn't comment on the condition of it.
It's bad. Appears to be a 1980? (Wasn't '80 the only year with the Ford letters on the hood?). Flareside obviously...4x4, 6cyl, 4spd.

Scrap metal really. Maybe some good plastic bits and pieces, trim/moldings, and the Flareside fenders.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Backyard Bullnose finds, good and bad

Pebcak
That's too sad....  

Someone might want front grill parts.  Those look like they're in good shape.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
1980 and 81 had the letter and, what one friend termed, the Last Great Grille - the one w/o the Ford oval.

Yeah, that's a shame.  But perhaps the bed and bumpers are good?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Pebcak
Pebcak wrote
That's too sad....  

Someone might want front grill parts.  Those look like they're in good shape.
I know. I was thinking on the way home, what could I salvage from this thing? I could use the sliding rear window, but there's really nothing else there of value to me personally. I'd probably scavenge the fiberglass fenders just because...lol. They're not really worth anything either, but still...hate to see them get scrapped.

The drivetrain would be worth a couple bucks, but who knows if it's any good or not. I will stop by next time I'm in the area to ask some questions. There was nobody around today to ask.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
That grille and front bumper do look in good shape.
Some of the inside cab parts may be good, you don't have the heat like we do down here.

You know if that six has AC the AC compressor brackets are worth a mint!

On the flare side beds as you said the rear fenders, tail lights & brackets and the lic. plate bracket & light if there.
Any tail gates on them?
I take it the bed sides are rusted out?
How are the front header panel and the bed cross braces?

Just thinking is all LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I'm sure the grill pieces and bumpers are fine. It also has a bush bar in the front, and a roll bar too...if one was going the accessories of the day. The interior was rough. Both the interior and the bed were full of junk so I couldn't see much, but this thing is rusted beyond...it's much worse than it even looks in the picture...lol. Tailgate was there, but rusty.

Going to go look at another one tomorrow possibly. I got word of where there is one sitting that supposedly has a decent bed on it.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I'd love the roll bar!
See ya soon Rembrant......

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
reamer wrote
I'd love the roll bar!
See ya soon Rembrant......
That poor old truck is so rotten I betcha one could remove the roll bar without tools...lol.

Hard to see in the picture, but it also has one of those bush bars that fits the contours of the front bumper. Was it you that was making those?

I have been continuing to hunt for more Bullnose Flareside parts and trucks this week, and I've come across two more sets of fiberglass fenders. Always the case, a bunch of parts available that I don't need.

I've come across a whole project truck that is partially disassembled (an '81, I think). The Flareside box has already been removed, disassembled, and sand blasted. It's not perfect, but it is decent. Guy is asking $1000 obo for the whole truck. I'd buy the whole damn thing and part it out, but it's too far away for that. I only want the box. I actually don't even need a box...not badly anyway, but I'd like to have one to work on/restore while I drive mine. Then, down the road if I find another decent Bullnose I'd have a nice spare box for it. Maybe.

There are several Flareside project trucks for sale in Canada right now. Too bad they're all too far away or I'd have a yard full of 'em...lol. My wife would not be enthusiastic about that;).

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You need to chat with Ray/NotEnoughTrucks about how much land, and how far out of town, is needed to be able to have a "truck farm".  

(I always have a giggle when I hear someone say "cattle farm".  I wonder how deep you need to plant those cows to get them to grow?  So, how deep do you need to plant a truck?  )

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Haha! I'd probably put that one on the project list. You should see how crusty my Frankentruck was when I got it. Still need to put up some pictures and I'm working on a personal album, but of course the snow still makes that difficult.

Wonder if that truck has a tailgate? Those seem to be hard to come by.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excuse me, but how does snow cause problems with doing computer work to create an album?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Seeing that just kills me.  I see vehicles like this and I think of all that's happened to them.  The good and bad that they've been through a lot. If I had the money to restore all vehicles like that I would.

Yes, I get sentimental sometimes.  I do the same thing when I go through the Pick N Pulls.  A lot of history sitting all around you.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by reamer
I'm always keeping an eye out for a roll bar for my Beast.  Don't want one new so I look when I'm getting parts and am always hoping to see one installed.

I'd like to have one with the Good ol fashioned "KC Lights" on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
Wonder if that truck has a tailgate? Those seem to be hard to come by.
Yes sir, tailgate was still intact, but rusty. I should have taken more pictures to show the extent of the rust. I'm sure the road salt rusted much of this truck away like it does everything else around here, but on top of that it's probably only a couple hundred yards from the ocean, and that will rust them into pieces just sitting there.

I see a nice old Bronco was just pulled out of storage out in your neck of the woods...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1347060351&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b

Low-ish mileage, and no rust. I'd love to have it.

There are a couple for sale out here right now, but they're real rust buckets.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Pebcak
Pebcak wrote
Seeing that just kills me.  I see vehicles like this and I think of all that's happened to them.  The good and bad that they've been through a lot. If I had the money to restore all vehicles like that I would.

Yes, I get sentimental sometimes.  I do the same thing when I go through the Pick N Pulls.  A lot of history sitting all around you.
Your feelings on the topic are at least partially driving the popularity of some of the modern shows like Junkyard Gold and Barn Find Hunter, etc.

And they do some neat stuff on Roadkill and Roadkill Extra where they wander through Junkyards or take old junkers for a drive.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Clearly I don't know how to use the embed tags...

Edit: OK, I figured it out. Duh.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
More backyard Bullnose parts hunting turned up yet another set of Flareside fiber fenders about an hour and a half away. Going to drop by and have a look this week when (if) I get over that way with work. They are not mint by any means, but they are complete with steel steps still attached. One has a crack, and the other has a small hole. I don't need another set of fenders, but if they're next to nothing I'll grab 'em just for more spares.

So, I was thinking of something else today...always dreaming...lol, but how hard would it be to make a new set of bed sides for a Flareside? Has anybody done this before? I realize the formed fender well is the snag here...the rest of it is pretty standard fare that most industrial shops could handle. Mar-K makes new bed side panels, but only for trucks that had straight panels without inner fender humps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It would be cool if those fenders could be recreated.  

And I'll bet you can easily peddle those fenders if you buy them.

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
More the photo work to actually go out and take some pics. Also just plain lazy!
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Was in Regina today. Never seen that one before, but it is nice.
1234 ... 6