Backyard Bullnose finds, good and bad

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
103 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backyard Bullnose finds, good and bad

reamer
I thought of re-creating the fenders, but the size and amount of work, decided against it.
Besides, Gary and I are doing some 3-d printing of smaller stuff, and I'm already doing metal fab and aluminum fab of parts..
Cory any luck on getting the roll bar?  

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
reamer wrote
I thought of re-creating the fenders, but the size and amount of work, decided against it.
Besides, Gary and I are doing some 3-d printing of smaller stuff, and I'm already doing metal fab and aluminum fab of parts..
I wasn't to concerned with the fiberglass fenders...they seem to be relatively easy to come by. However, if I did decide to copy them, there are lots of fiberglass shops around here with all the boat building.

My curiosity was with the Flareside steel bed sides. That is what I was wondering if they could be reproduced, even without the inner fender "hump".

As for the roll bar, no I haven't done anything at all. That truck is 2 hours away, and I'll have to get back over that way and ask about it again. I'd like to have a little better look at it to see if there are any other parts that can be salvaged. Since the people were not home when I was there, I didn't want to dig around too much.

On a another good note in keeping with the theme of this thread, I did get an email from a guy this morning that says he has TWO Flareside parts trucks...one 4x2, and one 4x4. The fact that they're parts trucks kinda pre-determines their condition, but he says one of them has some decent bed parts on it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Rembrant wrote
On a another good note in keeping with the theme of this thread, I did get an email from a guy this morning that says he has TWO Flareside parts trucks...one 4x2, and one 4x4. The fact that they're parts trucks kinda pre-determines their condition, but he says one of them has some decent bed parts on it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Yes, the steel sides "could" be a money maker since as most of us know, the flange to the wood bed is always "gone" due to rust.
It's just to large of a part for me to attempt to make.

I know your lurking out there Pete, still working on the steel bed rail top section of the flareside for ya....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
reamer wrote
I wasn't to concerned with the fiberglass fenders...they seem to be relatively easy to come by. However, if I did decide to copy them, there are lots of fiberglass shops around here with all the boat building.

My curiosity was with the Flareside steel bed sides. That is what I was wondering if they could be reproduced, even without the inner fender "hump".
You have to think out of the box! No No in the box! About the box?
Any way what if the bed side were made out of fiber glass? You know like they do kit car/truck bodies.
Heck they could also do the front panel & tail gate in glass and sell it as a kit to replace the rotten metal parts.

If the maker wanted to get real crazy could make the bed side panels to fit a long bed wheel base. Use the stock FS glass fenders and cross members (may need to add 1), get longer wood and metal strips (think the older Ford PU had a 9' FS bed maybe that metal strips?) and you would have a custom long bed FS.

If the maker reached out to LMC & Carpenter I would think they would take some.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Now you're talking, a long bed Flare-side. I like that idea.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I was just thinking to myself "how could it get any uglier?".
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
You have to think out of the box! No No in the box! About the box?

Haha, Oh, I've been thinking outside of the box alright...lol.

I've been hunting for Bullnose Flareside parts trucks I think mainly for something to do. My 302 is still out for rebuild and until I get it back I'm stuck with make-work projects to keep busy. Well...that's not 100% true, I DO have things to do...but only about one weekend worth of work before I'm ready to drop the engine and trans in the truck.

So far, I've found 2 sets of Flareside fiberglass fenders. Oddly, both from 1981 trucks, or so they say. I grabbed one set, cleaned them up and put them in storage. They have a couple cracks in them, but are very usable. The even better news is that the metal mounting flanges inside them are still in very good condition with only surface rust.

Those steel flanges are visibly rotten on the fenders that are currently installed on my truck, so it's nice to have a spare set whether I remove/use them or copy them and make new ones. I see that Ford also used an adhesive on these fenders besides the bolts. Something like autobody Panel Bonder I assume?

I also found a complete 4x2 Flareside truck that wasn't for sale, but that the owner would sell. It was a big block truck with auto trans, etc so not really my thing, but it looked nice. I'm more or less looking for a 4x4 Flareside with small block (or 300/6) and manual trans.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Bullnose Flareside "project" trucks for sale...there are several online now...problem is, they're too far away.

Oh well...the search continues. Two more parts trucks for go look at next week to scavenge for parts, and I made an offer to another Flareside project owner for his bed parts, although that isn't looking good at the moment.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those fenders are good finds.  And your approach of checking things out but holding out for what you are looking for will eventually turn up something.  Keep on truckin'!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I looks like I've sealed a deal on another Flareside bed. It is complete, minus the wood floor of course. It has already been disassembled, and it does need some work on the steel sides/lips and the lower skirts, but I think it will be OK. The fenders, steps & brackets, and tail gate all appear to be in very nice condition (via pictures). Picking it up Thursday night, and it's a long drive to go get it.

Now...do I actually need another Flareside box? No...not really. My plan is to take my time and work on rehabbing the bad spots, and get it ready for paint/installation. This is mainly so I can get started on it without taking my truck out of service. Second reason is potentially finding another truck down the road that I may want to convert into a Flareside. If not then I'll sell the 2nd Flareside bed...I don't think I'd lose any money on it.

But....since I've been doing some backyard hunting for all this junk, I was actually just contacted by a guy that has an '84 Flareside 2wd w/302 4spd that he is interested in selling. I'm stopping in to see it on Wednesday while on one of my work trips.

I don't need another truck either....but it doesn't hurt to go look, right?...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, it doesn't hurt to look.  And I'm unanimous on that.  (Are You Being Served.)  

You are going to be Mr. Flareside.  And I agree that you need a work truck to use while you are restoring another.  I'm unanimous on that as well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
No, it doesn't hurt to look.  And I'm unanimous on that.  (Are You Being Served.)  

You are going to be Mr. Flareside.  And I agree that you need a work truck to use while you are restoring another.  I'm unanimous on that as well.  
Thanks for the support Gary! This bullnose stuff is very therapeutic for me.;)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Most Bullnose work is therapeutic for me as well.  But, I will confess that laying under Big Blue today (couldn't get him in the shop) and getting greasy due to the oil leaks wasn't the most fun I've had in a while.  However, the fact that the gas leak is fixed is a big plus.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote

Stopped to see the other Flareside truck today, and while it did run and drive, it was too far gone for me otherwise. However, it was a nice drive in the countryside to an area I hadn't traveled before, so that was cool. The guy had a couple other Bullnose parts trucks to go with it, but I wouldn't have room for all that even if I did want it. My wife would kill me in my sleep;).

Funny, traveling out in the country, one sees all kinds of old trucks stuffed away in back yards. I noticed two Bullnoses today, rusting away in back yards. They were nothing that I wanted, so they were easy to dismiss at a glance when driving by. But still, they're out there.

Anyway...off to pick up the Flareside box tomorrow. Will see what else I can scratch up for junk while traveling the wilds of the east coast;).

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Keep looking and you'll find something.  But don't go for something you don't want.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Looked at two more backyard Bullnose Flaresides today. They're in really poor condition. Rusted out like you wouldn't believe. The one truck even had the left hand A-pillar rusted completely out. No floors, nothing. The truck on the left was surprisingly complete. 1981 4x4 Flareside with 302 and 4spd trans.

I wonder how badly the front and rear diffs rust? I'm thinking about the seal surfaces and places like that...the rust would have to creep in there after a while. I'd like to have a good complete 4x4 drivetrain for a short wheel base.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the diff's, transmissions, drive shafts, and transfer cases should be relatively rust-free.  And the front swing arms.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
I think the diff's, transmissions, drive shafts, and transfer cases should be relatively rust-free.  And the front swing arms.
Yeah, maybe so. I know the drive shafts were really rusty, and even the shifter sticks were rusted brown.
Kind of a catch-22. You'd have to pay to pull the truck out and get it to an area where you could jack it up and inspect it, only to find out the stuff is no good. Oh well, that is the way it goes.

I talked to another guy today that has an 81 Bullnose Flareside 2wd and it has been stored in a barn, untouched for a decade. He is pulling it out this weekend as the property is being sold, and the truck has to go. He says it's in decent condition for its age, but not mint. Wood floor was removed when it was put away.
Has a small block in it with auto trans. Didn't know if it was a 302 or 351.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I find it interesting that the Flareside is/was so popular "up there" with numerous carcasses to pick from, where around here in the New England states they are as rare as hens teeth....

I sold a cracked pair of fenders for $700and the guy didn't even blink.

Cory, I'm thinking I need to rent a van and bring back a truck full of fenders as a retirement source!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
reamer wrote
Cory, I'm thinking I need to rent a van and bring back a truck full of fenders as a retirement source!
It is interesting. I don't remember seeing all that many Flaresides around in the 80's, but then again in the 1980's up here, my world was pretty small. I have two extra sets of fenders now, and I know where there are two more loose sets locally. One guy has just a set of fenders with steps still attached, and another guy has a project Flareside with an extra set of fenders just loose. On top of that, I've now found 3 backyard carcasses which more or less counts for 3 more sets of fenders since the trucks themselves are rust buckets.

If I thought I could sell them I'd be buying them up myself! I have found a few running/driving trucks too that weren't advertised for sale, but that the sellers would sell.

What I personally find interesting is that two of the three carcasses I've found were 4x4 trucks. There may indeed have been a bunch of Flaresides around years ago, but the 4x4 models would have been rare.

I have my eye on an '80 4x4 about 5 hours north. The truck is not currently for sale, but it may be in the future. It needs an engine, and I've let the guy know that I'd be interested in the truck either way if he decides to sell it.