Axle Pivot Bushing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Axle Pivot Bushing

jdavidsmi
Once the weather warms back up a bit, my garage is not heated. I need to replace the axle pivot bushings on my 84 F150 4x4. wondering if this can be done with the i-beams in the truck or just bite the bullet and pull it all out.

Also has anyone had any luck with just replacing the bushing parts and leaving the outer sleeve alone?

David
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Axle Pivot Bushing

PetesPonies
I lived in Maryland for most of my life. I worked in my shop all through the winter. I used a torpedo heater when in the 20s, but otherwise, just put on a few sweatshirts. I'm in SC now, so milder. But last week was cold as hell ( teens at night, barely 30s in the day ), and I worked all through it doing restoration stuff. So I'm not feeling sympathy for you at all  :) As for your bushing, whenever you replace the rubber with a poly bushing, the bushing shell is left in place. You remove the rubber and insert a lubricated poly bushing. I would guess this is similar. I always removed the rubber bushing with some heat, fire. Its smelly, but once it gets hot enough it just slides out of the shell. I have done this many times with later model Mustangs. If you drop the side of the axle where the bushing is, you can make the repair there. If you needed to remove the entire bushing, it could be easier with the axle in a press. But certainly leaving the steel shell in place can be done on the truck . . unless I'm really missing something here. Hope it helps. I'm headed back outside now  :)
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by jdavidsmi
I was going to do the pivot bushings in mine when I did the 4x4 swap but they just were not that bad so I left them alone. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the subject and decided that if I was going to do it that leaving the sleeve in the pivot arm and replacing with the 2-piece poly bushing would be the way to go. Granted this is arm chair advice since I didn't actually do it. From what I saw, either type of bushing can be done without removing the pivot arm from the vehicle.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Not on a Ford, but just did the ones on my LeBaron rear suspension, replaced them with Poly Bushings that a fellow in Seattle area makes. Same thing, keep the shell on each side and the flanged bushings are pushed into them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Thanks for the input, replacing the rubber bushings in the truck with the 2-piece poly bushing, seams the correct course of action for me.

Now to get them of order, together with new parking brake cables.

David

David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I replaced them a few months ago on my '84 F150 (2wd), but I did them outside of the truck since I was replacing the radius arms and all other bushings anyway. In any case, I didn't find them that bad to do, but they sure are tight going in new. These were the only ones I've ever done, and I didn't feel removing the sleeve/shell was all that much work...but then again, I've never installed the other style, so I really can't say if its easier or not;).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I don't know if you found this video or not but it's pretty good:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teMmiBdwc7M
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Your sleeves looked pretty bad. They were probably best changed. Most don't look that bad .  . at least on cars  :) Trucks may be different depending on how it was used. I used to set the rubber on fire and push them out with a screwdriver. Sometimes the sleeves can be a real pain to get out, so if they are good, just use the old ones.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
PetesPonies wrote
Your sleeves looked pretty bad. They were probably best changed. Most don't look that bad .  . at least on cars  :) Trucks may be different depending on how it was used. I used to set the rubber on fire and push them out with a screwdriver. Sometimes the sleeves can be a real pain to get out, so if they are good, just use the old ones.
Life in the rust belt, everything looks like that after a while here.

I just drilled them out. I think I used a 1/4" drill bit, and just drilled the rubber between the center and the outer sleeve. Only took a couple minutes, and the center popped right out. I cut a few slots in the sleeve (radially) with a hack saw, and then cut one slot through the center (axially), but only about 90% of the way through, and then peeled them out with a hammer and chisel. The new ones were much harder going in than the old ones were coming out.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I did all of my 4x4 front end with new ones from Ford.
figure the first ones lasted 30+ years, these one will too. and rubber absorbs driving vibes better.
I used a screw type bushing puller.
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
I used a ball joint press to get them out and put new ones in

I did tear the whole front end out and replaced everything the moves or pivots