classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Auxillary Battery

Danny G
OK,

So my best friend from growing up and I were talking on the phone about my resto-mod 86 F-150 and one of the things he brought up that I should should do outside of OBA is an secondary battery or deep cell under the hood. There is definitely plenty of room for this, and could potentially be wired to a power inverter.

The discussion then becomes:

1) how to properly wire this up into the truck, obviously it will have to be wired in parallel with the main battery.
          2) If using a deep cell it may be good to put a cut off switch, but then that may cause charge issues, so running parallel with the mains pre/post starter relay seems the way to go.
          3) where is the best place to mount this battery? Is there some preexisting holes for diesel variants? Should I get another OEM battery tray and mount it near the washer reservoir?

I do plan on doing the 3g swap at the same time as this. I may also be rerouting/rewiring the harness so it runs around the engine bay rather than every which way across the top of the engine by making basically plug and play harness extensions, my only concern with this would be built in wire harness resistance values that the computer may be looking for.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Auxillary Battery

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think dual batteries in these trucks were on the same side.
Consider going to the Bricknose auxiliary battery tray.
These were on the left side.

I think these later trays are a much stronger setup.
You will have to change to the later washer & overflow reservoir though.

Gary has done all kinds of mental calculus (and his usual eight page microanalsis) for having a house battery.
It's here in the forum -somewhere-
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The wiring for the aux battery is best shown on these Charge & Power Distribution - Gas Engines pages of the 1985 EVTM. You'll want to see the illustrations on Page 14, and then the main wiring is on Page 15.  But the aux battery itself as well as the relay is shown on Page 20.

As you'll see, they used a large yellow wire that is probably already in your truck.  It ends below the steering column in the engine compartment.  Then you'll need a relay, but the wiring to pull it in is probably already there as well.

But the aux battery tray won't be there.  It is shown on this page in Documentation/Fasteners & Illustrations/Front Clip/Fenders & Aprons.  And that's on the driver's side.

But the later battery holders are much stronger, as Jim points out.  I'm going with at least one of those on Big Blue's transformation.  But, since I will have an air cleaner box and power distribution box to fill the left fender, I may have to move the aux battery to the right side.  Hopefully two of the latter battery trays can be used for that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
“ But the later battery holders are much stronger...”

Which “later” ones?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1987 and later.  They mount as shown below with a brace that goes up to the fender.  And, they secure the battery at the bottom with a rubber clamp instead of the piece at the top that always corrodes.

But, the brace goes VERY near the starter relay, so that probably needs to be moved.  Or eliminated by using a PMGR starter and a HD Bosch-style relay, which is what I plan to do.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Unless you have a junk yard near by that has availability looks like this may be a home fabrication to mount a battery on the lh fender. Or maybe mounting an existing style in reverse.

Do we have the full PN for the trays and supports. 10732 and 10769?

Heck it may be worth doing just because these trays are pricey.

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Still less expensive than ebay, the RH is $150!

The full part number for the LH is F4TZ10732A, for the RH /B. Hold down F4TZ10769A
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The bricknose battery holders mount ABOVE the inner fender and the battery clamping wedge is either glass filled plastic (nylon?) or steel.
I have seen both, but never rubber, even hard rubber like an old comb.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
The rubber etc. details are for 87/ trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I HAVE an '87 truck, and had an '89 parts truck.
If you want me to pull it out and take a picture, I will
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
For the '87 and later:

Battery Carrier or Tray: E7TZ 10732-A r/b F4TZ 10732-B

Clamp: E7TZ 10718-B  (Perhaps not "rubber")

Brace (Battery Tray) E7TZ 10N697-A

And here's a better snag of the illustration to include the brace part #:

And here's a shot of Big Blue's current battery tray on the left, and the to-be battery tray on the right.  Note that the Bricknose tray will use the same bottom two bolts as the Bullnose, and will just take another hole in the fender for the brace  However, it is close to the relay so that probably ought to move.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
Do you want a close-up of where my stay mounts, near the relay?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Gary,
Do you want a close-up of where my stay mounts, near the relay?
Sure!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

I think there is no problem with the wires.
Look at how many I have bolted on there!

Sorry for the delay.
I had to run out to the paddock for the pic.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's good news.  Perhaps my relay is clocked wrong?  Or maybe it could be clocked better?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I reclocked my relay when I thought I was having grounding issues in the winter of 10-11.

Never saw a reason to change it back.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Danny G

The support arm is riveted to the later tray, so it's easy to move the support to the other side.  There are 2 styles: flattened tube, and flat strap:

But it's not nearly as easy to separate the lower bracket that's spot-welded to the bottom of the tray.  I think you might have to reverse all its bends to make it LH; or just copy it in reverse, and fabricate your own.

Either way; the base clamp is superior to the bullnose J-hook clamp.  Especially if you get the long clamp bolt.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Danny G
Well I couldn't find the driver side tray for 87+ but did find it for 80-86  nos.

Just need to find the other parts to use with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the guy.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Looks like I need a triangle shaped support to go under it.