classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Auxiliary Electric Fans

Boldster
Hi

Just checking if someone add (or try to do it) auxiliary electric fans on front of the radiator, keeping the original  "mechanical" fan installed ( I don't like the idea of go "full electric" in order to keep my "baby" as original as possible, but she gets hot driving slow with the factory AC on)

By the way, she is an 82 Standard, long bed with the 300 engine, automatic transmission.

1982 F-100 Long Bed 6L 300 ci Aut. Trans.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Auxiliary Electric Fans

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, as this is your first post, welcome to the Bullnose Forum.  Glad you are here.  

As for your question, I don't know of anyone who's installed extra fans in addition to the engine-powered fan as the latter should be adequate.  However, there's a problem with adding fans - you probably don't have enough electrical power to them.  Your truck will have come with a 60 amp 1st generation alternator, but that 60 amps is when the engine is spinning pretty rapidly.  However, you are saying the problem is at idle, and that alternator won't support those fans at idle - if at any speed.

I think the problem is probably a lack of a shroud on the fan.  Many of the trucks with a 300 six didn't come with the shroud, and that makes a huge difference in cooling.  Another possible problem could be a plugged-up radiator.

So, I would suggest you find a shroud and install it - assuming you don't have one.  You can see an illustration of a shroud, as well as the part numbers, on this site here: Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s.  But, I'm not suggesting that you buy a new one, as most salvages with these trucks in them should have one.

However, that begs the question of where you are.  Please tell us more about yourself as one of us may be near you.  And, please create a signature that tells about your truck so we don't have to ask in future.

Finally, this thread really ought to be in the normal part of the forum, and I'd like to move it there with your permission.  This New Members section is really to introduce yourself rather than troubleshoot your truck.  And one of the reasons for that is few people actually watch this section so you won't get much help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Boldster
Yes, the shroud is there... I will try to clean the radiator and see if the problem still after that.

Many thanks!!!

On Dec 14, 2017 11:34 AM, "1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome, Boldster!

Does your truck have this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Fan-Shroud-Ford-Truck-1980-1981-1982-Ford-truck-300-6-cylinder-F150-250/263324390402?hash=item3d4f5b5402:g:4WQAAOSw8DJaC67l&vxp=mtr

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Auxiliary-Electric-Fans-tp5307p5310.html
To unsubscribe from Auxiliary Electric Fans, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Boldster
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Actually, the shroud is different (model 8146 on Cooling System Illustrations page) since the AC is factory installed I think...

Will keep you posted after I clean the radiator and flush the entire system.

Thanks!

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Alberto Correa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, the shroud is there... I will try to clean the radiator and see if the problem still after that.

Many thanks!!!

On Dec 14, 2017 11:34 AM, "1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome, Boldster!

Does your truck have this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Fan-Shroud-Ford-Truck-1980-1981-1982-Ford-truck-300-6-cylinder-F150-250/263324390402?hash=item3d4f5b5402:g:4WQAAOSw8DJaC67l&vxp=mtr

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Auxiliary-Electric-Fans-tp5307p5310.html
To unsubscribe from Auxiliary Electric Fans, click here.
NAML