Autosound Stereo's?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Autosound Stereo's?

Danny G
Anyone have any experience with these autosound radios that Classic Car Stereo sells? Look pretty nice, was thinking of picking up a non DIN bezel and using one of these in lieu of the more modern stero unit.

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1980-1986-ford-truck-radio-usa-630.html?rrec=true

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Autosound Stereo's?

salans7
I will definitely look into them when my truck is running and driving, the price point isn't bad for what you get and I don't need anything crazy in my F350 as long as it has some sort of Ipod or Aux cable ability.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G

This was one of Christopher Lott’s trucks. He didn’t say too much about the stereo except it was as you would expect from a regular modern head unit and approximated the look of the original...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by salans7
I have the Radio SST 280 and CD Changer 250
that I picked up used for a different project that other than bench testing have not used yet.
I also picked up 2 other new off brand radios I could use in it but I am not that close yet.

Now for the truck I picked up I think it was a 86+ factory AM/FM/Cassette and used 2 speakers I had laying around and it works pretty good for not having carpet on the floor to keep road noise down.

I don't think the SST 280 has BT or a way to use a cable but I have not looked at the radio in over 5 or 6 years.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I wonder if it's possible to use the OEM knobs with the aftermarket radio though? Those knobs being replacements would bother me, the same way the chrome door panel trim bothers me on the 85-86 trucks (there's no silver edging on the bezels or the vents like the older trucks to tie it in).
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Danny G
Just bought an NOS one off eBay (discontinued USA-1 unit, box marked "f-series 74-86"). $75 shipped from Canada, hasn't come in yet.

Will follow up once I have it installed. Replacing a half-fried Sharp shaft's type radio.

They seem overpriced, but given that line-in hookups weren't a thing back when shaft-style radios were in mainstream production, there isn't much choice if you want to hook a media player up without a transmitter or tape adapter.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's one I'd been looking for to install in Dad's truck.  Please let us know what you think when you get it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
It's more expensive, but you can have your factory head unit completely redone with modern guts.  
https://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/conv.html
http://www.classiccarradiorepair.com/
http://www.cruzclassicradio.com/#servicesanchor
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
Just bought an NOS one off eBay (discontinued USA-1 unit, box marked "f-series 74-86"). $75 shipped from Canada, hasn't come in yet.

Will follow up once I have it installed. Replacing a half-fried Sharp shaft's type radio.

They seem overpriced, but given that line-in hookups weren't a thing back when shaft-style radios were in mainstream production, there isn't much choice if you want to hook a media player up without a transmitter or tape adapter.
Yea same units from what I understand. Let us know how it works out.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Good: Works and sounds great. Looks good once installed. Works better than the vintage Sharp unit I had installed.

Bad:

-I had to cheat the install... in order to get enough shaft and radio face to the trim bezel, I had to mount the factory bracket flush (no "center" nuts or washers) on one side. I also had to trim down one of the ears on the faceplate "sleeve" due to such. I have two radio brackets (the stock 1984 one, and one out of a 1980 JY truck); both were the same stamping with the same issue.

-Getting the knobs rotated so the rear knob is centered is nearly/effectively impossible. Want the pointers straight up when both are center? Good luck... I gave up after dealing with the former.

-The included RCA to 3.5mm cable (line in) is too short to be useful. No big deal, just install a longer cable.

-Do NOT bridge channels together for 2-speaker use... one part of the instructions say to bridge the Front and rear positives together (disable the F/R fader)... another says to turn the fader to full-front and use the front channels only. The latter is correct, the former results in loud popping which would have fried the radio had I not stopped and read the other instructions.

-Schematics are in the printed manual, but too blurry to be of value. The online PDF has no schematic. Only a big deal if you're an electronics nerd like me (who does component level repair of such as another hobby)

- Has a dorky "fake needle" overlay on the LCD. I popped mine off (held on with two blobs of black glue) since I care more about seeing what the radio is doing than looking closer to "stock" (like a radio with an aux button is going to fool anybody). IIRC screen covers without needles and markings are avialble (I remember finding them on ebay, or so I think?)

-Clock display cannot be made default, must hit T/F button every time I want to check the time. I'd prefer that I'd be able to display the clock and only the frequency when changing sources or stations (how a lot of radios work)

-Metal casing was hand filed/cut from the factory... "custom" indeed. Not a big deal, just something I noted.

The install looks like the one posted earlier (same radio model). I'll reply with a picture. Good fit once all is said and done. Just some nitpicks on the fitment and user interface (and instructions).

FWIW, I'm running 4 ohm sony speakers in my doors. Truck originally was AM, and a previous owner converted it to dual door speakers, which were blown to bits when I bought the truck. The old Sharp was quiet on the speakers... the new one has decent volume. Nothing obscene, but enough to not make me install more speakers (at least any time soon).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Picture:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks very good.  But some of the negatives you stated worry me.  I'd really like the radio to default to time.  But if not I guess Dad's truck will have to have to keep its digital clock.

Anyway, thanks for the report.  How does it sound?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The sound quality is good. Haven't tested the tape deck though (and no need to, unless I randomly want to play a tape?).

I wouldn't have spent $200+ for it... but $75 IMHO was a great deal. From what I'm seeing the "newer" tapeless USA-230's can be found for $100 or so on ebay... but the knobs probably won't match (that and the "ford" logo seem to be the main "custom" aspects). Sure, the USA-230 can be found for bullnose Broncos (but not f-series trucks, according to their site), but you end up paying full price through a dealer.

Pick your poison.

EDIT- one other note: There was a hand-checked testing slip that came with the unit... apparently as part of the "customization" process all functions are bench tested. Nice touch. At least they were in 2004 (when my unit was "made", apparently).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll have to think about this.  Not sure what way I want to go for Dad's truck, but I doubt I'll want to go double-DIN, so may want to keep it stock looking.

As for Big Blue, I may eventually want to go double-DIN so I can put a backup camera on him.  Especially if/when I get the rear bumper/spare tire carrier which will both stick out farther and limit vision.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I love the double din in my Ranger, but the radio bezel on that truck was made to fit them. I would hate to try and make one work on these trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that's a problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by salans7
Ditto. 1995+ Rangers (and likely 1997+ F150's and 1998+ Superduties) are made for double DIN (and in my 1995 ranger, I run a double DIN Android Unit). Older ones, good luck... I doubt there's the vertical space. Like GM and Mopar radios of the era (but unlike some "later" Fords), the space is more of a 1.5 DIN... You'd be likely making a custom bezel (not just cutting a hole).

But if there's room and/or you're willing to do the work, more power to you. I think it would look like crap in such an old styled interior, but that's me. Your truck(s), not mine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
This post was updated on .
Actually, a member on here Kramttocs, installed a double din unit in his truck that he's working on now. He still has to finish up the install by modifying the radio bezel but looking over what he has done so far I have no doubt it will look good. You can see what he has done so far here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p46098.html I made my own radio bracket to replace the factory bracket so I could mount a cb radio in my dash as well as the am/fm radio. It started as a shaft style radio above my cb radio but I recently re-modified it and replaced the shaft style radio with a single din style Panasonic am/fm cd player that a friend of mine gave me as seen here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p45301.html. It may not be as slick as how Kramttocs install is turning out, but it meets my needs and works very well for me. A little forethought and planing and many things become possible that at first may seem not to be possible if one is able and willing to put in the work to do so.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN