classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
JC
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone tried stuffing later 460-FI into older carbed truck

JC
My old 460 bullnose in my avatar hasn't ran in 20 years. Its froze up. It has a 460 carbed engine. I just picked up a 97 F250 wrecked at auction with 80k miles.overdrive ect and runs fantastic.  Wondering what sort of jobs this would be. Any of you tried this out there? I even considered dropping the bull nose on that newer frame. Seems like a lot of work. I know I am going to regret it if I sell that truck
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anyone tried stuffing later 460-FI into older carbed truck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, someone has.  Or is.  Me.  In Big Blue.  And, Bill/85lebaront2 has done it to Darth.

If you are a glutton for punishment you can read all about it, and LOT'S more, in Big Blue's Transformation, which is now to 78 pages and growing steadily.  Or, I can give you the info in a nut shell and you can ask questions of Bill and/or me.

But first, you said you bought a '97 F250, presumably with the 460.  And you said it has overdrive.  Is that an auto with OD?  Or manual?  If auto it'll be the E4OD.  If manual it'll be the ZF5.  However, the big question is what ECU yours has - EEC-IV or EEC-V?  The IV will be bank-fire and no mass air flow sensor, and that looks to be what you have, although Bill can probably answer the question just by looking at your first pic.  I ask because both he and I are using EEC-V with sequential injection and a mass air flow sensor.  So our wiring will be slightly different from yours, assuming yours is EEC-IV.

Anyway, Bill is running an E4OD in Darth and I'll be running a ZF5 in Big Blue.  The EFI 460's have completely different intake and exhaust manifolds from the carb'd engines as the ports in the heads are different.  So you'll want to swap everything into your Bullnose.

Or, you can convert the '97 to Bullnose fenders and bed, but leave the interior with the later dash.  It'll look like a Bull, but will take less effort.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's a bank fire speed density system, EEC-IV and a MAP sensor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I thought that was the case.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI