Anyone seen this? Crown Vic front suspension to F frame?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone seen this? Crown Vic front suspension to F frame?

rcarlisle
OMG, this looks awesome!   This is for a bump side, but looks like it would probably work for a Bullnose.   This would be an awesome swap I would think, for a 2wd street cruiser.   Lower the rear to match and BAM.  

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/ford-f-100-crown-vic-front-suspension-swap/
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anyone seen this? Crown Vic front suspension to F frame?

85lebaront2
Administrator
The friend I helped with a 1956 Dodge used a Mustang II setup, and said he wished he had gone with a Crown Vic swap. The Mustang II front suspension was pretty well overloaded with a Mopar 360 sitting on it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I would never do a Stang II set up as I feel it is to light duty for anything it would ne used on.

As for the CV in our trucks it is not that easy.
If you do a search (Google) you will find that some have started but I dont know of any of them finished and on the road.
IIRC 1 was on a Bronco and the other a pick up and both stopped at about the same place with the CV suspension just placed there.

The problem with our trucks is the frame where the CV needs to be mounted it is not flat like the early trucks are, its curved.

The pickup the user cut the frame out and welded in steel to make it flat.
I did not like how it was done as I think it could have been done a little better.

I want to say there is a company that makes a kit to bolt / weld the CV into our trucks but cant think of it off the top of my head.
I have my eye on a short bed frame if I can get it for the right price and would do a CV swap to it and then could do a body / drive train swap to for the WOW!
Or build another truck but dont tell the wife LOL

The other thing if you want to lower our trucks there are drop beams but you can do the full CV frame swap or use the frame & firewall / floor to replace the firewall / floor of our cabs.
Look into what is done on the bump & dent side trucks and most of that can be done on ours.

As you can see my wheels have been turning on this CV swap from the front suspension swap to full frame to full frame / firewall / floor swap.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Yep, there are a lot of projects out there stalled for one reason or another.   That's why I insist on keeping mine running, even if it's not super cool truck.   I know how easily I can get distracted, so I have to keep the truck going.  I'm dreading it being apart for a week while I get seat upholstered and carpet in.   One litte thing goes wrong and I worry about getting it going again.   But that's me.  

And as much as I like this idea, not sure I would take it on.   Would love to see it done though.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I hear you on being down.
When I was rebuilding mine I worked as fast as I could to get it rolling so it felt like it was not that bad.
I also tried to get it moving under its own power ASAP, again so it felt like it was not that bad.
It took me 4 years before I could drive it, before that it was only a bad short test drive.

I know something has to be done with my seat and if I have to take it off the road for a week I am ok(some what) with that but would not like it down more than that.
I enjoy drive my truck and used the truck all last week to / from work and 2 days this week and it is 37 miles each way, if my math is right that was 518 miles! Now wonder the miles add up so fast!
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Mine is the perfect project for me.   All the hard stuff was already renewed.   I just have to do maintenance and fix up.

I have become accustomed to driving mine a couple days every week and it being down a week will suck, but I'll have evening work to do - getting old carpet out and new carpet in.  And getting ready for the new seat.   I say that is all, but I already know I'm going to need door panels soon since the pass side has cracked in two places on the top. BUt the interior is going to be basically renewed.  Not restored, but renewed.    That's where I sit so that's the big thing for me - be comfy when we're out in it.  

I was going to leave the seat, but since we're going to new carpet, may as well do as much of it "Right" as possible.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Sean Holman of 4 Wheeler Mag (which has probably been bought out again by now) had a long-running Project Speedbump, which is a Dentside with Crown Vic front suspension and a modern turbodiesel, or a hemi, I forget which, something fun and fast.

Great guy, actually answers messages, I sorta lost touch with him after we left yurrup.

Could be an info source for your idea. CV front is said to bolt right in.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Crown Vic suspension swaps are OK for trucks that are going to be week-end warriors or trailer queens but it's not for me. There is of course nothing wrong with it if that's what you like though because we are all different and like different things and there's room for all of us. I my self do not mind that my truck rides like a truck and it's suspension is more than capable enough for my style of driving, in fact if I ever hit 60 mph, I'm in a really big hurry as the majority of the time I rarely get as fast as 55 mph with the majority of my driving being 45-50 mph. If that's not fast enough for ya, go around. I also don't mind how it rides as I have owned more trucks than I have cars. My truck is my normal daily driver as it's not only more comfortable to me than my '90 Lincoln Town Car but around town my average fuel consumption is better than my car. Also the car is currently parked due to a front brake caliper trying to stick when you push the brake pedal, all due to an idea by the factory to use phenolic pistons in the brake calipers. Easily fixable though. If I want a truck that rides like a car, I'll go buy myself a Ford Ranchero but again, that's just me, to each his own.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
The Crown Vic swap has been done on a Bullnose, but you have to basically drop the truck to the ground and tuck the wheels. The ones I've seen are driving around with no inner fender liners because the wheels are tucked in there so far. It's not my thing at all, but dropping them to the ground is all the craze these days. I'm more of a stock ride height guy...I don't even like the levelling kits that everybody installs, but again, to each their own. We can't all like the same things.

The suspension is one thing...and it doesn't bother me at all in the Bullnose, it's the steering that gets on everybody's nerves. If somebody made a kit to install a nice rack and pinion steering system on a Bullnose, I would have done that years ago.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Good point.  I wouldn't want to have to modify my old truck that much.   Mine seems to have a pretty low stock ride height any way.  Probably weak springs?   And it was bought to live with us as a truck.  SO whatever I do, we have to be able to go get a load of building or yard supplies.  

Great idea about a kit to convert to a more precise steering system.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Darth's steering isn't bad at all (a) he's a one ton, 22 ft long dual rear wheel load hauler (b) still has the original king pins, just greased regularly. The second fact is why there is a slight tendency to wander due to friction.

Biggest issue is very few shops can or will correctly set these trucks up, especially the heavier ones with king pins as the only way to change the caster and camber is to actually bend the twin I-beams. Properly done they will hold a setting indefinitely, Darth's last full alignment was in 1994 not long after I bought him. Proof is the front tires wear dead even.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I haven't put enugh miles on Walter's new tires to know if it's out.  Other than it's not way out because they still look good after 1000 miles.  Mine is stable in a straight line.   Turns fairly precisely.  Only thing it really doesn't do well is return to center.  Wants to stay turned.  Or wherever you input.   I would like the feel of IFS in that regard - that it return to center and not want to just stay turned.   HOWEVER, I have not had it aligned since I bought it.  My favored shop closed and I haven't taken time to find a new shop.  It might be fixable.  

I need to go look up the steering a little more.  I understand that these TIBs have fewer adjustments.  OR at least fewer EASY adjustments.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
rcarlisle wrote
I haven't put enugh miles on Walter's new tires to know if it's out.  Other than it's not way out because they still look good after 1000 miles.  Mine is stable in a straight line.   Turns fairly precisely.  Only thing it really doesn't do well is return to center.  Wants to stay turned.  Or wherever you input.   I would like the feel of IFS in that regard - that it return to center and not want to just stay turned.   HOWEVER, I have not had it aligned since I bought it.  My favored shop closed and I haven't taken time to find a new shop.  It might be fixable.  

I need to go look up the steering a little more.  I understand that these TIBs have fewer adjustments.  OR at least fewer EASY adjustments.
Being you have an 81 it has kingpins that come in 2 different sizes.
I will take a little work but you need to disconnect the tie rod at the wheel end at each side and with the wheels off the ground try and turn the wheels by hand.
Each side should turn easy and if not the kingpins could be frozen.
If they turn easy then I would say it needs more caster as it helps keep the tires  pointing forward but can make it a little harder to turn the steering wheel.

My 81 had frozen pins and on the test drive I almost ended up in a ditch as it would not return to center.
The shop that pressed the bushings in and reamed did not do it right and they are to tight.
It dose wonder some but the front end checked out ok on the rack.
The shop said because the pins are so tight is why it does not return to center.
It still will not return to center but it has gotten better over the almost 2 years on the road.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
My '81 returns to center just fine like it's supposed to do.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yea but you did not have a machine shop that you were told by 3 different places could do the job mess it up by reaming the bushings 1 at a time from each side so you could not install the pins!
I had to hone them out and "drive" the pins in just to get the spindles on.

This made them really tight. They have gotten better the more I drive it but still not like it should be.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
The crown vic swap is pretty common, there's a facebook group about it that is a ton of help.  I always recommend the swap to people looking to lower their truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Cool.   I'll probably never do that to mine, but thought it was very interesting.   I liked HotRod Garage's Crown Hick, where they put a whole truck on a whole chassis.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by 351FUN
351FUN wrote
The crown vic swap is pretty common, there's a facebook group about it that is a ton of help.  I always recommend the swap to people looking to lower their truck.
How many of them are doing it to a Bullnose truck?
Most are doing this to the pre 80's trucks as it is almost a bolt in as the frames are flat, not so with ours where the suspension needs to be placed.

It has been a while since I looked over this build https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519659-1985-f150-bullnose-project-cv-swap-4-6-a.html
I cant remember if it was just the suspension or full frame?
There is also a company that makes a "kit" for our trucks but I dont remember who it is at this time.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
>How many of them are doing it to a Bullnose truck?
Most are doing this to the pre 80's trucks as it is almost a bolt in as the frames are flat, not so with ours where the suspension needs to be placed.

The group is called "1980 to 1996 Ford F-150 Bronco Crown Vic Subframe/suspension swap" so I'd reckon they're not doing it on the older trucks   I don't know anything about the older trucks, I've never had a Ford older than '83.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
351FUN wrote
>How many of them are doing it to a Bullnose truck?

The group is called "1980 to 1996 Ford F-150 Bronco Crown Vic Subframe/suspension swap" so I'd reckon they're not doing it on the older trucks   I don't know anything about the older trucks, I've never had a Ford older than '83.
I do follow all the older year truck to see what they are doing and to get ideals.

What I meant by what I said was this CV swap is mostly done on the pre 80's trucks as the frames where CV suspension bolts to is flat unlike ours.

If you do a Google and YouTube search on CV swaps see what comes up, almost none if any for the 80+ trucks.
Now that not to say it has not been done just not as many as the older trucks.
Dave ----
Dave G.