Anyone have experience with warn classic winch bumpers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone have experience with warn classic winch bumpers

IDIBronco
I have a 1990 f250 parts truck that has a warn classic winch bumper.  I would like to have the winch on my bullnose bronco, but by the looks of it the fenders of the bronco would have interference with the back edges of the newer f250 bumper.  Wasn't sure if anyone has experience of what it takes to make that work (bumper trimming, fender trimming, other ideas...).  Figured someone has tried it before.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anyone have experience with warn classic winch bumpers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have a Warn winch bumper on Big Blue.  Is that what you are talking about?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by IDIBronco
I wasn't impressed with the strength or design of the Warn bumper (or any other I could find or afford), so I designed & built my own with storage, recovery points, lights, push-bumpers, and a removable fold-down grill guard that was also a cargo carrier & seat.

It attached without any modification or welding to the truck, and was light enough for me to R&I alone:

But it was strong enough to knock down trees & bulldoze dirt, boulders, & "other stuff":

Later, I got the winch I designed the bumper for:

Eventually, I got a newer Bronco, sold that bumper, and designed/built a new bumper to fit the newer frame/body:

The new one has all the features that the old one did, but it's stronger, better-looking (the first one was intentionally scary), & more-functional (but ~100 lbs heavier).  So think about exactly what you need your bumper to do, and then design one.
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I quickly grabbed and cropped a few pictures I could find to highlight what I am talking about.

This is comaparable to the bumper I have on the truck.  It is mounted on a bit newer truck

This is more what I have seen mounted and your truck Gary.  The difference is how the bumper wraps around the corner, towards the tire.

I will try and grab a picture before work of my actual truck and bumper.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the 2nd pic is close to mine, although it is angular and not rounded.  And the first one is what I've seen for later trucks.

I've not been able to find one for the Bullnose trucks new, and few of the used ones for sale.  They appear to be sought after.

And, for what it is worth, we have the installation instruction on the Warn Winch Bumper tab here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/bumpers.html.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
This post was updated on .

My parts truck

View of area in question.

Side note... Is there a way to rotate a picture while uploading it?
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's no way I know of to rotate a pic while uploading.  Nabble, our forum host, doesn't recognize the orientation info in the metadata - pretty much like most other forums.  So you have to open it in a photo editor and then save it as most photo editors have the smarts to recognize and change the orientation.

Anyway, I see the problem with the new style bumper, but have no clue how to resolve it.  Hopefully someone will as those bumpers are much more available than ones for our trucks.

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I figured out rotating and uploading with my phone in a few attempts.  Got it sorted out.  

I wouldn't be opposed to just trimming the fenders back and removing filler between the grill and bumper, but it would be nice to see it done already.  I would eventually like to get different front fenders (fiberglass sounds very interesting due to no further rust possible) so I am not attached to the current ones and they have some rust already.  I typically am more of a modify instead of restore type of person.  Function wins out over form almost every time.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it sorted, but how'd you do it?  Maybe you learned something the rest of us need to know?

On the restore vs modify issue, I think there are places for both.  But I currently don't have a truck that i wish to "restore".  Instead, I'd rather "improve".

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
IDIBronco wrote
 I would eventually like to get different front fenders (fiberglass sounds very interesting due to no further rust possible) so I am not attached to the current ones and they have some rust already.  I typically am more of a modify instead of restore type of person.  Function wins out over form almost every time.

https://www.advfiberglass.com/products/1980-1986-ford-bronco-fenders

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/1980-1996-ford-f150-bronco-4-5-flare-fiberglass-fenders.aspx#.XK9G6_ZFzcs

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I just edited the picture as suggested then uploaded the new image.  Made 3 New ones with different orientation and inserted all of them, then deleted the ones that, when previewed, we the wrong direction.  Not the best solution, but the quickest work around while posting from my phone.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I have not yet investigated how the front lower corner of the fenders are supported, but I am very inclined just to trim the fenderline to match the style of the fender on my 90 parts truck, so long as the modification is easily reversible (just put on a non cut fender).  That way the body line will follow the bumper.  After I finish building my dump trailer I think the front bumper and modifications to make it work will start.  As far as building a new one as Steve83 suggests,  I am currently more interested in making this bumper work.  Although, I do have a pretty good pile of material left over from the dump trailer and probably could whip one up.  We shall see what direction this leads in the near future.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
This post was updated on .
I finally mustered enough ambition today to look into the front bumper a bit more.  I pulled the warn classic off of the 91 f250 parts truck and pulled the Broncos bumper and got the tape measure and started scratching my head.

I figured out if I trimmed the front fenders even with the grill and removed the sheet metal below the grill it would roughly match the 87-91 fender.  Plus you can see the 2 mount holes I drilled to match the bumper mount holes in the f250 frame.

Test fitting the winch bumper you can see the bumper is a decent fit on the bronco, except the length of the sides.  I need to trim those to match the wheel opening of the fenders, but I am pretty pleased with how it is turning out.  

More to follow as I need to redo the wiring of the winch, and possibly make new top plates to better match the front grill shape.

Doesn't look terrible, plus I am planning a skid / bash plate to go from the bumper to protect steering and beam pivots.

1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's looking good!  

I didn't realize the fenders were that much different.  But with that trimming and some on the bumper it'll look like it was made for it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
Figure for comparison sake a side by side might be useful.

At first I had thought the two trucks must have had a different length in front of the frame and the bronco years just tucked the bumper farther back, but this picture shows the gap between the tire (close to same size on both trucks) is about equal truck to truck.

Gives me a pretty good idea the difference in room in the wheel well.  I think I will drive it for a week or so and put some marks on the bumper to decide how I want it trimmed.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Can you cut a curve in the bumper?  I'd be tempted to replicate the original wheelwell opening on the back of the bumper.  So, if you have the piece you cut off the fender maybe you could trace its curve on the bumper.

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
That is what my plan will likely be, but i am going to take some time and probably Photoshop a few options before I trim the bumper.  So far nothing is permanent.  The fenders will be replaced with new ones eventually, so I have no issue with trimming them.   I am sure next weekend will tell the story.  
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
IDIBronco wrote
...the gap between the tire...is about equal truck to truck.
Unless the tires are the same size (they're not), and the trucks have the same suspension (they don't), AND you confirm that neither body has slid on its frame mounts, you can't use the tire gap as a gauge.  The wheelwells are essentially the same size (but not shape), and they're at the same position relative to the frame (which didn't change substantially from '82-91).  But the '87-91 trucks have an extension for their factory front bumpers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Geir the Canadian
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey Gary what size of tires and rims you running on big blue ?
1986 f250 (big red) stock 4x4 auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Geir - Welcome to the forum!  But, you should go to the New Members folder and introduce yourself.  And, so we don't have to ask questions each time you should tell us about your truck in a signature.

But, to your question, I have DISCOVERER S/T MAXX - SIZE: LT285/75R16.  As you'll see on that website, they are 33" (32.9) and require a wheel of 8" in width.  So, I assume that Vernon, the PO and the one who spec'd the tires and wheels, bought that size wheel.