Anyone else want to scream when trying to find upholstery?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone else want to scream when trying to find upholstery?

PetesPonies
When I redid the interior of the '82 Flareside, one bench seat, got carpet to match, sprayed everything else . .easy peasey. But the '83 Bronco is a PITA. No one makes a full set for low back front buckets and rear seat. It's an XLT, thats I am downgrading the interior look . .but never the less, not sure why it has low back buckets ( I like them best ) because I thought the XLT would have gotten the highbacks with arm rests. But one has the low backs . .good for me . .except I can find upholstery for the fronts, but not the backs . .from the same company. I try buying the back from another company and not having luck matching. I have called the manus . .don't get too far. Even throwing my business name .. .  they don't deal with the "general" public, only their distributors. I want the same color I did the '82, which was a saddle. The vinyls has some similar codes for colors, but not all companies tell you exactly what they are using. Generic terms like "tan" get you in trouble. Even looking at '78'79 seat upholstery because they were low back buckets and I'm pretty sure the same seat. I tried to get one to make the seat ( since they have the pattern, like I wanted it . . almost got it down but they backed out. Having the upholstery sewn locally costs big $$$. I bought a commercial sewing machine because I would like to learn . .but really just want to find some matching color upholstery for the front and back . that's ALL !!! Some make front and back for Captains chairs or high back buckets . .but not low back buckets. Keep me from jumping because I'm about ready to resort to that!
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anyone else want to scream when trying to find upholstery?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had the high-back Captain's chairs recovered in Tulsa a few years ago and they were able to get the original '81 material from a supply house in Tulsa.  Everything matched.

Yes, it was expensive to have someone sew the stuff up rather then get replacement covers, but they also completely refurb'd the seats with new foam.  And they even added neat little map pockets on the backs.

But, perhaps you could start stitching up covers for folks using your sewing machine?  Become that middle man they wouldn't sell to?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Have you tried?  https://smsautofabrics.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
SMS likely does have the right fabric, but it still needs to be sewn into appropriate covers.

I was involved in a project a few years back and the builder ordered the fabric from SMS. Their customer service leaves something to be desired. Not very impressed with their ability to ship product.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
I have used SMS before when I needed OEM material for restorations. This is not what I'm looking for now. I want upholstery already sewn. HUGE difference in price when it is made in a factory. Raybuck contacted Seatz for me and Seatz might be interested in adding the low back buckets to their offerings. So I forwarded several pictures today and hope to hear something next week. If they added that pattern to their offerings, that will also help '78/'79 owners as well, since the seats are the same. I then made one other contact today and they are sending a sample piece of vinyl for me to see if it matches.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It would be great if they add those seats to their product line.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I received the affirmative from Seatz, about making the upholstery sets for the low back seats. I took my seat apart today and will be sending them, tomorrow, my factory upholstery. They will make a pattern and make me front upholstery that matches the rear that they make.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!!  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sounds like a win-win situation!
Reply | Threaded
|

1985 Bronco
Awesome! Keep us updated, I need front seat covers too!
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
These are not going to match the factory pattern or material. YOu'll have to buy the front and back to have it all match.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Hey Pete are they going to redo the top and bottom foam as well
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
You buy the upholstery and it has a thin amount of foam to it. But it does not have the "foam buns". That isn't part of the upholstery. If your foam is bad, you have to replace or fix that. many times some 1" foam and spray glue is what is needed to repair the buns.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco