Anybody here in LA California area?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anybody here in LA California area?

Romel
Hi, I was just wondering if someone lives close to LA.  I have a 4x4 diesel pick up and I do have a feeling the transfer case BW 1345 is on its way. It is getting strange rattle on deceleration in 2wd when engine braking, makes chain like noise when shifted in 4x4 with hubs disengaged.  When cold it sometimes does a noise like spinning bearing for second, I know I could inspect it, but no parts available here, so even if I take it apart and localise the bad part I am off the road for quite long.  I have the pick up in Europe, Czech Republic. I have a container in LA to beshipped to Europe, so I thought it would be smart to add spare transfer case.  Plus what I would like to get is a plastic bedliner that will protect the bed, I hate to see the scratches on the bed becoming more and more often.  Anybody knows a shop in LA that I can obtain that? I would love more parts, but as always it is the vicious circle, money.  Thanks for any help.
Jan
1986 XLT Lariat F250 6.9 IDI, supercab, sidewinder, psd intercooler, hydroboost
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anybody here in LA California area?

Ford F834
Administrator
Jan, I wish we had sourced a spare transfer case before we shipped the truck, but I am not convinced that the problem is related to the chain. Perhaps I am wrong, but my understanding is that the chain should not be moving in 2wd and the hubs unlocked. So that does not explain noise while engine braking in 2wd. Also usually if chain stretches there may be constant scraping sound if it drags against the case and the usual symptom is random pop or clunk sound as it skips a tooth on the sprocket. This of course has to be in 4wd with the chain being driven. Also by message you said there is vibration, and to me that means a shaft off axis somewhere. Could be a bad transfer case bearing, transmission bearing, U joint, carrier bearing or pinion bearing on the rear axle. I know it is below freezing and no fun to turn wrenches, but maybe try with disconnecting the drive shafts and moving them out of the way so you can check the yokes and shafts for play or leaking out of the seals. The other thing is check the shifter linkage to make sure it is free and not slightly loading a shift fork while driving. The 1345 is a pretty tough T case, and it would be very odd for it to fail on your low mileage truck.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anybody here in LA California area?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good thinking, Jonathan.

I've had vibes on engine braking from u-joints and from slip yokes.  Anything that lets the shaft move sideways, off axis, can cause that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI