classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any recent trailer hitch purchasers?

Snowpony
Today's issue,
 Searching for a new trailer hitch for my 1985 Bronco, not really finding good measurements or pictures of Broncos without the step bumper.
Not sure how much if any the step bumper hangs lower than the small bumper I have on mine.
Looking for a hitch that tucks up nice and tight with not much more than the 2" square receiver visible.
Anyone have any suggestions?
May do a custom built unit if all else fails
Thanks everyone
Curt
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Any recent trailer hitch purchasers?

myrl883
google FO-8096. It's built for '80-'96 F-series with a roll pan. Mine isn't here yet, but it looks like it's going to be perfect for my flareside with the factory flat bumper.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Snowpony
I don't know where you are located, but Hitch Headquarters in Hampton VA is my go to source. Clay Strader and his twins are real good at sourcing hitches (which as I discovered on a Chrysler Town and Country van are all pretty well made by one company).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Snowpony
One caution is that China Inc bought BullDog, Drawtite and Reese. Or maybe it was the other way around.

In any case, their quality is now chinese.

BullDog gooseneck couplers are now so soft that a good hard tow ball will wear right up into the socket and try to punch thru the top. I got this info from two sources including the inventor at Shocker Air Hitch.  

Many don't grease their ball daily, which makes the problem worse.  A Shocker goose coupler can be modified easily to store about a half stick of grease just above the ball, where it slowly works its way down as needed. You then need only hit that zerk once a year.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.