Any interest in a 1985-86 tailgate trim panel?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any interest in a 1985-86 tailgate trim panel?

thefraze_1020
Hi, I went to a local wrecking yard today and found a really highly-optioned 1986 F-150 XLT Lariat there. One thing that blew me away was the tailgate panel on it. It is the 1985-86 brushed metal, red stripe panel. I took it off the tailgate, all of the mounting brackets behind are intact, and I can't find any dents or scratches on the panel anywhere (it is, however, very dirty). I left the tailgate there, hiding inside the canopy, but I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in this part for their truck, and if so, what would someone be willing to pay?

If there is any interest, I will go back this weekend and grab it.
Cameron

1986 F-150 Base, 4x2, 4.9L I6, C6
1992 F-250 XLT, longbed extended cab, 4x4, 7.5L V8, ZF5 5-speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Any interest in a 1985-86 tailgate trim panel?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those things are hard to find.  I sold one several years ago sight unseen.  He just HAD to have it.  I'd grab it were I you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
In reply to this post by thefraze_1020
I have an interest. It would depend on the asking price delivered to 17402.
Any idea what you might be thinking as a price, often in the yards they are unaware of the difficulty in finding such items. I try to just buy the goodies as I can at a song and then pass part of the deal on to the other members. Right now I'm working on getting an under hood tool box set up together to pass on to the members. Other than the locking tab on the lower box portion, it all looks good. I'd suggest the two brackets have the surface rust taken care off before installation. Just need to get the fastener package together.
'86 F-350 4WD 5.8 C6 R/C SRW A/C XLT-under construction.
Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
I'm not in this to make a handsome profit. So you tell me what a fair price is, I will check how much the yard wants for it, and then try to figure out shipping.
Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
I am thinking $100 delivered.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dan Crowley
In reply to this post by thefraze_1020
If Rodeodown does not take it I will.
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

farmboy60
i feel lucky my tailgate for 30.00 was a steal
Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
I recently found out that shipping costs have changed significantly. I'll revise the offer to $100 + shipping.
Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
It will be a hot second before I actually get this part. I am moving next week, so I most likely will not get the part until then. Hopefully the yard still has the part! I already removed it, but I hid it inside the canopy of that truck. Again, from what I could tell, there were no scratches, cracks or dents. It's just dirty, but I will clean it up before I ship it. Also, the plastic mounting hardware on the back is all intact, which I find miraculous.
Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
Let me know how much when you can.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
Or.... Do you have any interest in an under hood toolbox?
Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
Send me a couple pics of the tool box, since I have never seen one in person. I might be interested in a trade.

Unless you happened to have the gun case behind the seat. Then I would owe you the tailgate panel and a wad of cash. But that's asking for the moon, so lets stick to the tool box possibly.
Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
Wow some of those pictures really went to heck in a hand basket. I tried to lay the parts out to show what all hardware I have. I am missing one screw and clip to attach the washer/overflow tank, also missing the four screws that hold the box to the inner fender. All other items are as pictured. The picture that shows the chipped edge is where the lower locking tab on the front of the box would've been. In my opinion, for any part of the box to be broken, I'd rather it this and not the upper tang on the lid. If I can find another clip and screw for the washer tank I'll include. I know I do not have the four fender screws. Someone else may be able to assist, or perhaps simply purchase from the specs. I soaked the two large brackets in a light vinegar/water solution to cut the scale that was present to ensure I had solid metal. They then soaked in a neutralizer to stop the acid. Just a little surface dust rust. I'm sure you'll want to clean them up and paint to mach your under hood color scheme. I figure we each pay the shipping out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is rare to find a lid w/o the tab being broken.  And I agree, if something is to be broken the body is the place as it isn't seen when the lid is closed.

As for the clips and bolts, here's what I believe they should be.  And I think you should be able to find them in the catalog at Documentation/Reference/Standard & Utility Parts Catalog.  If not, let me know and I'll measure mine and see if we can't get the right part numbers.  (I didn't have that catalog when I put up that page on the tool box.)

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
I've found another bolt and clip for the washer tank, so at this point it's just the four bolts originally marked as N606023-S in the drawing that Gary has provided.
Reply | Threaded
|

86Tan&Brown
Rodeo, are you still on the hunt for a lower housing for that toolbox? I know of one in a yard with a broken lid and missing hinge (mine) From what I remember, it was fully intact.

I will be grabbing the fender reinforcement for somebody on here, so I might as well grab the whole thing. I’m sure parting out a toolbox setup is seldom done...
1986 F250 460 C6 4x4 XLT Lariat 4.10 Open
Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
I am looking at a trade with thefraze to get the 85-6 T/G trim he'd found in a yard. If you and he want to work a secondary trade for a lower box portion to make it 100%, I think that would be a good thing depending on the prices involved. If I were you, I'd get all of the components you can, always good to have good trading stock on hand for trading. This is all dependent on having the storage space available. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
I'm probably going to pass on the toolbox. But I will let you know about the tailgate panel when I get to it (hopefully next week).
Cameron