Any Recommendations For A Bullnose Mechanic in South Florida?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any Recommendations For A Bullnose Mechanic in South Florida?

Quarterwave
Hi everyone,

Due to some time constraints, I'm looking for any recommendations for a good, reputable mechanic to work on my 351W - that is based in South Florida.

I'd like to put some aluminum heads, a cam and intake on my truck but have no time to do it myself, and so I am looking to farm out the work - but some of the local mechanics that I reach out to, will even return my calls!

Any recommendations or shops that I might reach out to?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Any Recommendations For A Bullnose Mechanic in South Florida?

Rembrant
Quarterwave wrote
I'd like to put some aluminum heads, a cam and intake on my truck but have no time to do it myself, and so I am looking to farm out the work - but some of the local mechanics that I reach out to, will even return my calls!
I have no recommendations for mechanics in your area, but I feel your pain. I don't know where I'd take my truck locally for work like that.

I have actually seen people posting ads in the local classifieds looking for mechanics that will work on older trucks. Most generic shops won't even work on them, and if they will, they don't often have any experience with carbed engines (or the early pre-OBDII fuel injected engines for that matter).

I would contact Thumper in Jacksonville, and see if they have any recommendations for South Florida.

http://www.thumperheads.com/
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thumper does a good job with porting iron heads, and he might have some suggestions for a mechanic.  We have a guy on here, Rick/Lariat 85, that is running his heads and is pleased with them.

However, when I was doing Dad's engine Tim Meyer talked me into aluminum heads.  The cost wasn't much more than reworked cast iron heads, and the benefits are better.

Tim is a Ford engine guru and does Windsors as well as his mainstay of 335 Series engines, meaning Clevelands and M-Blocks.  And he is coming out with a line of aluminum heads that are less expensive than the big-name heads.  I don't know that he will have them for Windsors, but I'd contact him for sure to find out.  And, it is remotely possible he would have a recommendation for a mechanic in FL, although he's in MN.

Having said that, he'll be in Skiatook, OK on Sept 14th and 15th for the show, so if you could make it......  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Go to the local auto parts houses and look for an older employee. Ask if he can recommend someone? Also, go to local automotive events [car shows, races, etc.] and ask around, especially the Ford guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I already have the heads, cam, intake etc... I just need someone to put them on, as I just don't have the time between work and my boat repower (Mercruiser (GM) 5.0 replaced with 5.7).
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Speaking of boats, I absolutely LOVE my Mercruiser 6.2L. 😎

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Haha, nice!

My outdrive is just a little Alpha One, so it'll only take about 300 hp
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bravo 3. That 6.2L has such a wonderful exhaust note. 😜