Any IDI experts here? I gots me some blowby...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any IDI experts here? I gots me some blowby...

RenoHuskerDu
Lots of blowby going into manifold. Do they all do this, or do I have excessive blowby? In the video you see that there is a fair amount of white smoke coming out of the CDR then getting gobbled down by the intake manifold. Is this something that we just don't know about, as nobody looks down into a running engine?

This 1989 444 is strong, only has 106k miles on it. Oil consumption is low. I had the air filter off to find an oil leak that seems to be from an aux oil pressure gauge fitting that's behind the CDR. You can also see it in the video. I have a spare CDR that I'll put on there tomorrow, I know, it looks neglected.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/8dd5Cu1lTBxh/
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Any IDI experts here? I gots me some blowby...

grumpin
Found this.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/school-me-on-the-cdr-valve.51486/

Don’t remember watching it, that’s pretty cool!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
It’s hard to say for sure if yours is “normal” by the video, but it probably is. The IDI’s have a ridiculously large 2nd ring gap from the factory. I think .060”-.080” is IH spec. This combined with the high compression creates a lot of blow by. They vomit oil out of every seal and opening, especially if the CDR becomes clogged. For my rebuild I have total seal gap-less rings, and there are file-fit options. Here is an interesting thread on the subject:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1346590-racinndrummins-fullsize-bronco-idi-build-6.html
If you are not loosing oil or coolant, and it’s running strong, don’t worry about it. If the CDR is puking black sludge into your intake, it may need cleaned or replaced, or your engine may be getting worn, but the vapor I see in the video looks like un burnt diesel exhaust.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by grumpin
I just read that informative post. I installed a new CDR today and am currently soaking my old one in what I think is kerosene. Got a can of it at an estate sale, so can't be sure. Doesn't smell like gasoline or diesel.  Hopefully kerosene won't destroy the diaphragm as noted in the OilBurner post.  I tried to click the pics for a better view but you have to  be an OB member to do that.

Question. Can I buy the rubber hose under the CDR on RockAuto? More exactly, what is its name?  Mine was brittle and broke when I pulled. My new CDR is just slid into it about 1/4"

I also found this random tube back there in the puddle of spooge under the CDR.  Anybody know what it is? It's plastic. The red part  looks like it formerly encircled it but has cracked off. This is all actually on an 89 bricknose.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I don’t think RockAuto carries either the CDR or the grommet tube. If purchasing an OEM Ford CDR, it often comes with a new tube. If not, they can be had on eBay. I see them priced $10-$40 and they claim to be OEM.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254306838594

You will see two part numbers, E3TZ-6A892-A and E8TZ-6A892-A. The early 6.9 had a metal tube with a plastic cone that sealed it into the CDR. The later ones are all rubber. The pic you had looks like the early type, perhaps they made one out of plastic for a time? I can’t think of what else it might be. I think if you buy a new rubber tube you will be good to go, as it replaced the earlier part. I have seen home brew solutions for this tube but none work well.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by grumpin
Here is another CDR thread that is quite informative.  I am schooled.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/broke-cdr-valve-tube.41658/
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
One thing I would add is that the reason there is no part number for the turbo engine grommet tube from IH is that they never offered one. Only Ford did, and it was a re-branded ATS 093 kit with an inferior down pipe to fit between the firewall without hammer modification. ATS relocated the CDR to the driver side valve cover. The non-turbo grommet and tube will work for the IDI turbo CDR application, you just need to trim the tube as it is too long. The hard part to find as new old stock OEM is the valley pan grommet (for the IDIT). The turbo pedistal drains where the NA grommet tube goes, but has a different inside diameter. There is a Chrysler PCV grommet in the parts store Help! section that does work, though:

I know yours is not the turbo application, but it might help somebody sometime, or you if you ever add a Ford/ATS 093 turbo to your engine.