Another Starter Relay/Solenoid question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another Starter Relay/Solenoid question

Pizzadude
I know this has been covered a few times with different solutions.

I've read through some of the posts but I'd like to describe my issue and see in anyone can point me in a direction.

New battery, new solenoid. In the past I had the classic fusing of the copper issue that many seem to experience with the Chinese parts.

I've gone through the battery disconnect routine then it starts thing as well.

When it first happened a while ago I went through all the check ground and connector routine making sure everything was tight, clean and in contact with a fresh metal surface.

What is happening now is I recently made a trip about a mile to the gas station. Truck was warmed up nicely in the driveway drove to the station fueled up and when I went to start it hesitated (electronically) like it almost wasn't going to start.

It's feels as though it's straining for power or like the battery is weak. Very similar to the way it has behaved in the past. The thing is it seems to not be consistent.

I'm wondering if I need to add anything additional. I read about an additional relay to take the load off the ignition but I stopped reading and now can't find it again.

Could anyone please direct me to a post that already exists I hate to add another post to this subject because it make it hard for others to sift through but im just not sure it's the same issue.

This is the one I currently have.
Thank you

1986 F350 460
Automatic
1 ton dump
Located in California

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Another Starter Relay/Solenoid question

Pizzadude
FYI I have replaced the battery cable and the starter cables.

I also have an additional ground wire from the solenoid that goes into the fender.

1986 F350 460
Automatic
1 ton dump
Located in California

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
With the 460 there is a good chance it's starter heat soak.
Standard (non pmgr) starter, correct?
Headers?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Pizzadude
This post was updated on .
Hey Scott thanks

Yes standard starter and yes headers. It is completely stock
1986 F350 460
Automatic
1 ton dump
Located in California

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure about a post, but we have a page here on PMGR starters: Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring.

There is also the possibility that you have a bad cable.  Just because the terminal on the cable has good contact to the battery or the ground or the relay, that doesn't mean the wire is well connected to the terminal.  Sometimes cables die internally.

The way to check that out is to do the voltage drop test, as described here: Documentation/Electrical/Voltage Drop Testing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pizzadude
Good advice from Gary.

Cables definitely get corroded internally.
But cables are a lot cheaper than starters...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
That was a good read on the Voltage drop test.

Im keeping an eye on this as I too have occasional starter problems. For me, if I shake the solenoid a little it cranks like nothing was ever wrong.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems