101 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another Flareside: "Silver"

SCFlareside
This post was updated on .
And so it begins again.  My last truck that some of you may know, was a styleside that we put a flareside bed onto.  It was rougher than I'd like to admit when I started.  Thanks to many of you on here, for advice, brainstorming and even some parts now and again, it's close to finished.

The other day i made a trip to look at a flareside that was near us... long story short I brought it home a week later.  This is the start of its project thread, and for now I've just named it "Silver".  

Silver just turned 140,000 miles this weekend on a run to Lowes.  For all its sun burned paint and surface rust, it's a super straight truck.  All the panels appear to be original and it even has the original wood bed... the truck was in California for its first 23 years and about 100k miles, before it came to North Carolina and a farm.  We are the fourth owners.

Here are a few pics.  I have to let it live in the shop a bit before I can spend much on it, so mainly doing cleanup and basics.

The truck drives well except for some weak brakes and shocks.   Despite all the effort put into the black trucks steering, silver feels smooth by comparison.  Someone installed heavier springs in back so the truck has a lot of rake...  leveling springs are probably in the future.

1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Another Flareside: "Silver"

Ethobling
Only 140k? Nice.

What are your plans to do for Silver?
Project/Soon-to-be Work Truck: "Baruch" 1983 F-100 4.9 L6
Daily Driver: "Charlotte" 1997 Taurus Wagon GL
Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
In reply to this post by SCFlareside
It's been sitting a bit, so for now the focus will be on brakes, fluids, belts and the like for reliability.  

And tires unfortunately

As good as they looked, I got a flat this weekend.  Felt it wobble hard about four miles from home, pulled over and watched the left rear go flat.  It split at the sidewall due to some dry rot or damage from driving at low pressure maybe.  I still have some well worn but reliable BFG ATs from the last build that I'll need to put on.

My understanding wife came to the rescue.  We got some looks with one flareside helping another, looked like a bullnose meet

1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!  I'm on board for the ride.  

How 'bout adding a signature to tell us about your trucks?  I don't remember the details on the black truck, and will soon lose them on Silver.

To figure out where the 300 came from, check the valve cover to see if there's a calibration label on it, as explained here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/calibration-codes.html.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, dry rotted tires are a problem waiting to happen, and it didn't take long.

But that's a cool pic!

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
In reply to this post by Ethobling
Ethnobling, I learned a lot and made some mistakes in my last build... it turned out fine but I had to redo some things.  This time I'll try to be wiser...

Silver is a good survivor except for the paint...and I'd like to respect that and keep it close to factory, or maybe slight "80s era" mods like I did with the last truck.

I'd really like to hear brainstorms and suggestions, we are open  - one of the reasons I appreciate this forum

Color:  I'd like to return it to the factory silver with a medium or dark blue stripe.  The stripe will be a question: original factory pattern as it is now, or a single stripe down the bodyline?

I also am debating whether a matte silver paintjob like SEM Hotrod silver would look good or just devalue it

Here's an example of how it would have looked new

The bed will be a question too.  I'll stay with the '85 era plywood, but... could do a real wood finish and varnish or oil...with stainless bed strips... OR go total factory and paint it body color.

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
For you that have done flareside beds before: do you take the bed to the body shop in pieces fo paint, and then reassemble with the wood bed floor?  That may be the way to go...

I wonder if leaving the "patina" on the inside of the bed would be cool.  Not so sure about that.

OR...

One could do the inside of the bed with trim black paint, like a matte finish.  Done well, with chrome bed strips and real wood maybe that would look sharp.

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary!  I'll add a sig line...

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
This post was updated on .
And also thank you for the calibration code info!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
SCFlareside wrote
For you that have done flareside beds before: do you take the bed to the body shop in pieces for paint, and then reassemble with the wood bed floor?  
I just assembled mine this summer Ken, and that's what I did.

I then assembled the box upside down.

And then flipped it over and set it on the frame to do the wood.

I went with plywood again in the 3 sections same as the original. I left mine plain, but had the strips painted body color. I'm not sure this is 100% my favorite, but I like it, and it will probably stay this way for a while.

And after it was all fitted and drilled, I took it all back out and did three coats of marine varnish, sanding between coats.

What year is the bed on your other truck? One thing to be aware of is that the bed strips on the trucks with the plywood floors are different than the earlier ones with the planks. They're not available anymore, and nobody makes replacements in the aftermarket.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
If you have the $$ replace the wood with some good bad weather capable rot proof super durable wood IE teak. You throw a teak deck or some other Iron wood like Purple heart and it will look bad ass with that silver. Just oil it up every now and again and let her go.

Purple heart decking, color varies on this stuff.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Wood bed floor what is that  

If I was going to do that truck I would go back with the stock silver color and the blue pin stripe or could get fancy and do 2 tone in blue LOL
But the color code would not match then again the motor does not match so?

Paint the bed apart, wood showing the grain other wise why go with wood?
Paint the inside of the bed the silver, mat black I think would not look good or right, darker wood with silver painted strips would look sweet.

Because I had to put my bed together by myself I had the floor on the truck, front panel bolts to side panels handy, put one side on the edge of the floor lifted the front panel up so I could get 2 bolts started and that held the front & side panels in place so I could get the other side panel in place.
I then dropped the bolts thru the side panels to the floor and got the nuts started, got the rest of the front panel bolts started along with the rear side panel to rear sill bolts started.
Once all the bolts were started I squared up the bed panels and took a wrench to all the bolts & nuts.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrandt, every time I see the color of your truck I think how awesome it is.  What color or code is it?  Thanks for the great pics!

Dave to your point maybe two tone would be great.  The silver, with the blue from Rembrandt's truck as the accent color could be awesome.

I think you're right, black inside the bed might just not look right

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
SCFlareside wrote
Rembrandt, every time I see the color of your truck I think how awesome it is.  What color or code is it?  Thanks for the great pics!
It's just the Ford factory color code "3P", except that it was converted to base/clear. I believe the original would have been just a single stage paint. I love it too...it sure makes an otherwise bare bones optionless truck look good...lol. I would have had the single stage done again, but they outlawed that paint in Canada a number of years ago. I believe it is still available and in use in the US? The only forms we can purchase it in are in aerosol touch up cans or small little touch up containers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
SUBSCRIBED TO THIS THREAD!!!!!

MURICA!!!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
I like the look of the base - clear on yours actually, would want to make it look exactly the same as your color.

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
According to Gary's paint specification page, the "3P" code on my truck was used between 1982-1984.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-paint-codes.html

I believe it was used on other Ford products in different years.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
SCFlareside wrote

Dave to your point maybe two tone would be great.  The silver, with the blue from Rembrandt's truck as the accent color could be awesome.

I think you're right, black inside the bed might just not look right
I think the silver with the blue as the accent color both done in BC/CC would look great.
Wood in the bed not painted, paint the inside of the bed silver along with the metal strips.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
Update on the truck, have been really busy and haven't done much with it.   At least it's under cover...

Dealt with the tire issue:  losing a tire made me realize how bad the 31s that came with the truck really were.  It forced me to accelerate a decision on tires and wheels... I decided that i didn't love the offset on the wheels that came with the truck - they looked good with 31s but the offset would sit out a bit too far with 33 x 12.50s.

I sold the wheels that came with the truck on FB Marketplace and am using a "for now" solution.  I mounted a set of well used-but-faithful 32" BFGs that I had from the last truck.  I put them on a set of aluminum slots that I had rescued.  They need a lot of polishing, but we will see - I kind of like the look for now.

Here's a pic I snagged, took it out to Lowes to stretch its legs

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Looking good!!!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

1234 ... 6