An Update on Brutus

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

An Update on Brutus

86 1/2 Brutus
Just checking in with ya'll and to let you know where we are at with Brutus.  He's coming along nicely.  Nick made all new wire harness for everything.  He made all the relay logic modules for everything.  Power windows, locks, headlights, blower motor, dome light delay and headlight delay,  and amplifier.  All the AC ductwork is done, complete with the blend door modification and back in the truck.

Moving on, we have to change the exhause donut, muffler and tailpipe.  As you know, we broke a bolt off and i was able to get it out.  Had a discussion about replacement studs, it seams no info is available for the 86 and back I6.  I ordered bolts for an 87, they came in and they look exactly what is on Brutus so i think we are good there.  Haven't tried them yet, but it's coming.  I'm hoping to get it out of the way today after work

The last of the ac parts should be in today, the clutch cycling switch.  I really want to have the ac and exhaust up and running by the end of the weekend, but i guess i'll be happy with just the exhaust.

Am hoping to get it done before the virtual truck show.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: An Update on Brutus

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
George,

Can you start a thread (with pictures) of Nicks harness?
I'm no master electrician, but I do field questions and have techniques that have worked for me.
We have another member who spent his time in the military doing avionics and has had a lot to contribute.

One final thing. A while back I started a Tips & Techniques subforum in the garage and shop section to try and pool some of the knowledge and minutiae from members here.
I do believe that any contribution you two may have to offer would be enlightening.

Thanks!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I have plans on it.  he has pictures of all the modules he made and i will take some detailed pics of the harness's and post them.  In the meantime, if you have any wireing question, please dont hesitate to ask.  Nick is a master at Ford wireing and all the tricks
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks.  

I've done some minor modifications to my trucks wiring in the past year.
Installed a small fuse and relay box with a Megafuse where the starter relay used to go. (PMGR, so I'm using a 40A relay in that box)
The Ford E series blower relay kit completes the power loop, and my blower works fantastic now.
Put some fog lights in my bumper, and have them wired so they can only be on with the low beams or parking lights.

But I'm looking to put a mini-sub in when I pull out my interior for sound deadening and the new rubber mat I have waiting.
I may want thoughts on powering that.
I'm thinking I should use the power antenna wire to pull in a relay, and have fused power direct from the Megafuse or something.  IDK...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
We have a small 50 watt per channel amplifier we are installing , he has a module for that as well, ill get the info from him and get some pics up tonight or in the morning.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Cool.
My head unit is already 50 RMS per side, but the hide-away sub is going to need something.

I've fully wired race cars and motorcycles but never endeavored to build an entire automotive harness before.
Im a little awed and intimidated by a project like that.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, cool!  I want to see the pics, but you'll also want the for the virtual truck show.  You want others to see what's been done.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
i hear ya.  Brutus came with factory 6x9's so we good in the bass department.  we are using the factory head unit, nick modified it with bluetooth, fully functioning with hands free mic built into the head.  it's the factory premium sound, 25 watts and we needed a little more kick, its a very weak 25 watts, and with Nick being able to build amps, we can do pretty much anything we want.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
the hide-away sub is going to need something.
Not sure if you are using 'hide-away' generically or not but I'd check out the Kicker Hideaway sub.
It doesn't require an external amp.
That's what I have in my console (along with the amp for my door speakers) of the supercab and while it may not roll the windows, it puts out enough bass for me to be happy with.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's not a Kicker, but some generic self contained bass from Crutchfield with good reviews that was under $250.

It's been sitting in the box so long that I forget.
But my mat (finally) arrived from eBay, so I will be ready to pull the seat out (again) and do what I should have while I was welding the new floor and rocker in.
 Jim,