Aluminum intake

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Aluminum intake

BeagleRock
Anyone have an aluminum intake manifold for a 351W 2 barrel they'd like to sell?
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Aluminum intake

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As you probably know, Randy, there aren't many, if any, aftermarket 2bbl intakes for the 351W.  The only aluminum 2bbl manifold I'm aware of is from Ford.

But, be careful with what you find there.  Many people were not aware that with a mix of aluminum and steel/iron they needed to run a good anti-freeze.  And w/o it the intakes corroded badly where the front and rear coolant passages meet the heads.

Brandon/Bruno2 repaired his intake with JB Weld, but it took a while.  So if you are shopping that's the first place I'd look to ensure what I'm buying isn't badly pitted.  Otherwise it'll leak coolant.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Ok thanks Gary, I just didn't want to try and reseal the old one by myself as I did 17yrs ago .Due to many aches and pains and my neighbor no longer has his little cherry picker that made lifting that heavy thing off and on easy .
 Last resort into finding vacuum leak as all other attempts have failed . It's better but not cured,still dies when moving throttle about a 1/4" Even have to adjust the choke to 2000rpm's or it is in that spot where it starts but die's. Very frustrating and not entirely convinced it's a vacuum problem. I'm going to try your dad's old carb again soon because I now know what I'm doing on the carb now as before I was just guessing at settings .
 The dreaded flat spot continues to haunt me coming up on a year in February!
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Have you tried using smoke to find a suspected vacuum leak?
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
I tried but apparently I can't seem to get enough tape on the carb to keep it from coming out of it . Might have Givin up too quickly on that method.
 Cigar was pretty good though 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Maybe you can find something [plastic cutting board or scrap wood?] and drill a hole for the air filter hold down bolt to pass through. Just use the wing nut to pull this to the carburetor, to seal it.