All Crank No Start

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

All Crank No Start

Aron
Hello, I've had trouble getting my truck started, it has sit for 10 plus years before I got it. The main things I have done are the return lines and brand new Motorcraft glow plugs. The Truck will start and idle happily with just a little bit of ether, and will also if you stay on the stater long enough. I have heated the glow plugs manually and still nothing. What else could it be??
"The Bearded Lady" 1986 F250 4x4 6.9IDI
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: All Crank No Start

mat in tn
I'm not the diesel expert but doesn't it have a glow plug relay? it seems that you should be able to test it to see if it is operating the glow pugs properly. other than that, it seems like a fuel delivery problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
Yep it's working properly, I've manually jumped it and I'm getting power to the glow plugs and it still didn't start, I just don't see how it can be a fuel problem if it idles perfectly with a little ether.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
idk. that seems like a clue to me. how well does is run beyond idle or with a load?
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
It runs like a top, I had one problem when I first got it started and road legal. The metering value got stuck and kept killing the engine, I've been running atf and its not had the problem since.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
again, I'm no diesel expert. metering value? and running atf where?
 but it really seems like the shortcoming is to do with glow plugs if cold start is your issue. it's exactly what they are for and the only reason it has them.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Metering valve, in the injection pump...

I'm no diesel expert but any fuel system that has been sitting for 10 years is suspect and probably needs to be cleaned and resealed. I'm not sure some ATF is going to fix it if that valve has been stuck to it's seat all that time.

Have you energized the shutoff solenoid and hear it moving freely without trying to start the engine?

Injection pumps are like brain surgery to me. Incredibly delicate and not something I want to mess with, personally.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
Yeah I domt much care for messing with them either. I haven't tried the shutoff solenoid, I figured if it starts and runs fine with a little ether it couldn't be it but I will try it thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
As far as diesels go 6.9's are stone simple and very reliable in my experience.
But I have met a few that don't want to start without a shot of juice.
I have a friend with an '88 dually that was this way. Chasing our tail with new injectors and such.... 🙄

Try putting the key on and plugging/unplugging the solenoid rapidly.
Listen closely.
It may be that it is stuck or failing, and the rattling from a running engine is enough to get it to open.

But if the fuel system had a bunch of rust in it that's a nightmare no matter how many filters you change.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
Alright ill try that thanks for the help.
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
In reply to this post by Aron
I had time to get to the truck again, it is definitely getting glow plugs. It's got PLENTY of fuel flow at the shredder value and a little at the injector. when I sprayed some ether in and started it up it is running better than it ever has, I've got no idea what is going on.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, a steady diet of ether is not good..

So, with the key on the shutoff solenoid clacks hard and always sounds the same????
Is the cold start sensor giving power to the advance solenoid at the pump?

I wish Jonathan had more time to spend here on the forum.
I'm sure he knows better than me how to diagnose your 6.9.

Not a diesel pro here.  ☺️  I used to have to get the 7.3's in the wreckers and flatbeds to work long enough to close out the shift or until the diesel tech could get to them.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
I can't hear the shutoff solenoid at all,   just the high idle one,  I know some things about diesels but when it comes to specific injection pumps I get lost. I unhooked the coolant sensor about 2 months ago but I've never had a problem until recently. (Also I can't find a diagram about the ip, where would it be if it is on here?)