Airlift or full air spring suspension (aka air bags)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Airlift or full air spring suspension (aka air bags)

Vic Roma
Has anyone added airlift suspension on the rear springs to aid with leveling? Are they useful? Alternatively, has anyone installed air bags on all four corners?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Airlift or full air spring suspension (aka air bags)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't - yet.  But I'm going to on Big Blue, and probably on Blue.

We've had a discussion on Big Blue's Transformation about air bags, and one of the issues is that they limit the suspension's droop if you connect both top and bottom of the air bag as the instructions say.  But the Daystar Cradles are said to remedy that.  So that's what I'm going to install.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Thanks, Gary. Looks like I have a bit more reading to do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
I am planning to install air bags on the rear of my truck. The factory leaf springs have always been a bit too soft. I'vehad helper coil springs on it for over 20 years, but they cause the ride to suffer too much, and one is starting to bow off to one side....

I just happened across this site today:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspension-air-bags/air-lift-air-bags/ford/truck-suv/f100
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
I saw that site too; they’re selling Airlift products, plus others. If you’re not sure what Airlift kit to get, go to http://www.airliftcompany.com/, search for your vehicle, and they match the relevant product.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The SD site appears to be making strange claims about the pricing.  I've been looking at the Air Lift 59570 Ride Control for Blue, and Amazon has them with free shipping for $244.77.  But SD says they start out at $422.95, then are marked down to $325.27, and then further to $250.46 plus shipping.

Also, you want to make sure that you get the right bag for the job.  In my case Air Lift's site originally said I need the 5000# bags, but when I said to show me all that fit I found the 2000# Ride Controls in the Amazon link above.  That's really what I'm looking for, just the ability to level the truck, not put huge weight on it.

And that's important because the 5000# bags will hurt the ride on a lightly-loaded truck.  Go read some of the comments on the Amazon link.  Several said they installed the 5000's and they really hurt the ride, but that the 2000's didn't and even helped the ride in some cases.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
I just checked amazon, and they are higher for the kit that fits my truck (57215) by about $20.
I will likely give my brother in law a call, and see if I can buy the kit I took off his truck when I swapped the dually rearend under it. Same kit, plus it has the remote fill/deflate kit.
I am not too concerned about the 5K bags hurting the ride, I've dealt with the helper coils for so long. I bet the ride will actually improve....
I know 5K is overkill, but they'll never be tested to the max....
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
This I am interested in, one friend says they are a waste of time, another telling me to bag the whole truck that way you can lower it on the highway when its empty and maybe squeeze some better mileage. I think the later may be smoking the pipe, pushing a brick with 3 speeds is pushing a brick with 3 speeds.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
TheScatch wrote
This I am interested in, one friend says they are a waste of time, another telling me to bag the whole truck that way you can lower it on the highway when its empty and maybe squeeze some better mileage. I think the later may be smoking the pipe, pushing a brick with 3 speeds is pushing a brick with 3 speeds.
Yes, a lower brick driven by three speeds is still a brick with a fast-spinning engine.  While there may be a slight improvement, it'll be so small that the wind direction will mask it.

In the case of Blue I have a 2015 F150 with soft suspension but with the Max Tow package.  That gets the better axle ratio and better axle in the rear and the GCWR is ~12,000 #.  But you can't really tow what it is rated for if it is bumper pull as you'll have more tongue weight than the springs like.  So you either need a weight distribution hitch or air springs.  And the folks I've talked to say the latter in a 2000 # rating work very well.

In the case of Big Blue, I have the same 7-leaf rear spring pack on my regular cab F250 as Bill does on his crew cab F350.  Serious overkill and brutal ride.  So I want to take leaves out to improve the ride but shore up with air bags for when I do carry a serious load.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
This is something I will have to learn about when I am ready to do it for sure then. Sounds like a good chunk of work and cash.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Depends on which system you go with.  For Blue I've read several people say 3 hours is all for the install.  And $250 gets the kit - without compressor.  My theory is that you can always carry an air tank to top them off if you need more air.  Or stop at a station.

But for Big Blue it may well be much more.  I'm thinking of the 5000# system with the Daystar cradles.