Air cleaner hot air hook up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Air cleaner hot air hook up

BARRYS83F100
Members I am getting ready to install new engine in my 1983 F100 5.0 H.O. I am using a dual snorkle air cleaner from 5.0 H.O. Mustang , I want the hot air to work and reviewed diagram & I would like to simplfy the operation it shows 2 vac switches but I would like to use one to make simple. , now I know they had lean calibration from factory so they had to be more careful on operation , I do not need this I want it to use hot air only when cold and open A.S.A.P. to get cold air to it, now before you condem me for this keep in mind I run it now with open element air cleaner and very little choke and I mean very little and get along fine what sensor [ Part # ] will get me this ? I prefer not to use the silver dollar size on in bottom of air cleaner just one on side.
Thanks,
Barry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Air cleaner hot air hook up

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Barry - I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying and asking.  But let me take a stab at an answer.

One snorkel is plenty enough for hot air as you shouldn't be using lots of throttle or air on a cold engine.  So my plan is to seal the hot air opening on the driver's side snorkel and not have a flapper valve nor vacuum motor there.  But that will require modifying the snorkel to cleanly close the vacuum motor's hole off, so I might put a dummy vacuum motor there.

As for the thermal sensor, aka "thermostat", you can find the part numbers here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners.

Also, it looks to me like turning the cold air ducting upside down allows it to almost fit on the other side.  On Big Blue the factory ducting is on the passenger's side so I'll turn the piece that goes to the radiator support upside down.  But it doesn't quite work so I think I'm going to have to cut that piece in two and glue it back together.

Hope that answers some of the questions.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
yes Gary I understand, I need 2 snorkles as I will be at about 285 HP I want the hot air if is super cold out side but do not need it as precise as factory had it [ 2 valves ] I would like to clean it up and use 1 valve on side of air cleaner as opposed to 2 see ex below:

factory 5.0 air cleaner single snorkle & 2 valves on side none in bottom or center

5.0 H.O. air cleaner Dual snorkle & 2 valves 1 on side & 1 in bottom / center

I would like 1 Valve on side to only close snorkle on cold day and open as quick as possible.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is there a question in there?  I haven't figured out if I answered your question(s) or if there's more to answer.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Is there a question in there?  I haven't figured out if I answered your question(s) or if there's more to answer.  
I have a Mustang 5.0L dual snorkel air cleaner on my 302, and I know what he is asking, but I can't remember the answer...lol. I did read up on all of this stuff, but I cannot remember the logic of how it functions.

The vacuum must pass through two valves to get to the vacuum motors that open the air ducts. One is the thermostatic valve in the base of the air cleaner, and the other is the plastic one on the side of the air cleaner...I think mine is green, but they come in other colors. He wants to simplify the system so it is not modulated so much as just strictly open or closed...by just running one simple control (instead of two).

At least that is how I understand it...

I forget how they work though...
I know one is a thermostatic valve...but isn't the other one like a check valve that keeps the air duct valves open when the vacuum drops during WOT (or something like that)....lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
Bingo that is what I am asking
Thanks
Rembrant
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So you are asking if the Cold Weather Modulator can be eliminated.  The answer is yes.  Go back to the link above and read the Note on Page 66, and the "check valve" of which they speak is the CWM.  Many of the air cleaners didn't have them.

Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
this is what is confusing it shows 1 sensor in bottom center of air cleaner and 1 on side in diagram shown now my orig oem 1983 air cleaner does not have one in bottom center both are on the side I think one os white [ TVS } and the other green ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
BARRYS83F100 wrote
this is what is confusing it shows 1 sensor in bottom center of air cleaner and 1 on side in diagram shown now my orig oem 1983 air cleaner does not have one in bottom center both are on the side I think one os white [ TVS } and the other green ?
On my original 1984 air cleaner housing, the thermostatic valve was in the air cleaner cover. On the Mustang air cleaner is in the base of the housing (less space under the hood, right?).

Then there are two plastic ones in the side of the air cleaner...one white, one green...both my 1984 truck air cleaner had these, and my 1984 Mustang 5.0L had them too.

If I recall correctly, the green one is the CWM (Cold weather modulator) that operates the valves in the snorkels, and the white ones operated something else all together not related to the snorkels at all (I removed the white one, and left the green one intact).

My 302 is 100% emissions delete, so I don't think there was anything to connect the white valve to.

Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
Rembrant
 So you are saying I can run snorkles off " GREEN" valve in side of air cleaner ? if that is correct how do you test it to see if it works ? mine seems to pass vacuum all     the time which would keep snorkles closed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Why not use the service procedure set out in the link above?

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In reply to this post by Rembrant
If I am understanding correctly, the one you don't want to use, the one on the bottom of your air cleaner, the thermostatic valve{TV}, is the one you have to use if the system is going to work. That is where the systems thermostat is. The other one, the CWM, helps the system operate more smoothly.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by BARRYS83F100
BARRYS83F100 wrote
Rembrant
 So you are saying I can run snorkles off " GREEN" valve in side of air cleaner ? if that is correct how do you test it to see if it works ? mine seems to pass vacuum all     the time which would keep snorkles closed
Well, what I'm saying is that is the way Ford did it. Vacuum goes through the thermostatic valve, and then through the cold weather modulator. That's how I have mine plumbed in currently. This picture below is a little grainy, but you'll get the idea...

PS: On the Green CWM, I had the notes saved below...

Green CWM Cold Weather Modulator
Opens at 76 degrees F and closes at 50F.

I studied all of this stuff a couple years ago, and now I can't remember any of it...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Ok I did some more research and if my thinking is correct ? I can run manifold vacuum to one side of D7FZ-9E607- A { motorcraft CX109 ] Brown thermostatic valve & tee other end off to both snorkles it would open snorkles to outside unheated air at any temp above 75deg inside air cleaner is this correct ? as I only want to use 1 "switch " let me know before I purchase NOS switch

Thanks,
Barry
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I think that will work.