Aftermarket column

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Aftermarket column

IowaTom
Gang - I'm thinking about replacing my steering column on the '85 F150 and I spoke with a gentleman at Ididit, and he said the troublesome part is matching up the wires on my column ignition switch with their relay box GM style column switch.  I wouldn't think that'd be too difficult since there aren't many things involved, but I may be wrong.

Has anyone been successful with column replacement?  My steering wheel wiggles from years of PO's using it to pull themselves into the cab, and I'd love the tilt capability, being 6'5".
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Aftermarket column

Rembrant
I just checked Ebay out of curiosity, and holy smokes...rebuilt columns used to be only $750 a couple years ago...lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385352972330?fits=Year%3A1986%7CModel%3AF-150%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item59b8d3b82a:g:AAEAAOSwg5Rjm8JN&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsHtE8VjFtLrYQBld1JgelaYCfkV2GUvUhOjCUrnQR9Y%2B%2FpI%2BvSQQZ%2FVD5bqaHAhDLtfvksq5zPsKax6o2VPZ6eq8DOpbvg965Dv3HSphd7sUylgyz4jEZdKoe4QAULEp17VA3aieVEzPaayNL3WFvjscjTb99g0NJOzFp%2F4TLi%2FAkz3WhMbVFJ10UpIKtca4gsEVjHM1xtFo4%2Bf7Izd2z1%2BoACGfxfPQn%2BUPCXN2s9y3%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8agyYXHYQ
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Yeah, I saw those too.  I didn't pay that much for my first car!  :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Have ya tried a salvage yard? I picked up a tilt, with the steering wheel, for my 83 F100, at Buddy's in Springfield, MO. Cost me a little bit of time to pull it and $45.00. I've yet to install it as the cab is still off of the frame. However, it seems to be in very good condition. As for the aftermarket columns? I've read nothing good about them. The one I got at Buddy's has everything. Good to go. However, I'll not be using the steering wheel. It has the cruise control buttons and wood grain. Check around, you might be surprised what can be found at a salvage yard.
The wiggle could just be the rag joint.
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if you are considering doing the amount of work to replace a column or even the bit of custom work to do an aftermarket one. why not pull the wheel and the turn signal switch and have a look at what's inside. you may find a bad bearing that is far easier to fix than you realize.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I'm definitely not planning to use any aftermarket column now.  :-)  There's nothing out there that offers a "bolt-in" fit except for OEM stuff that's been refurbished.
Those companies/vendors basically grab your wallet and say "cough"!  

We do have a pickup boneyard near and I will try that, thanks!  If no luck there, I'll pull the wheel and look for worn out carrier type bearings.  It's alllllways something.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
IowaTom wrote
I'm definitely not planning to use any aftermarket column now.  :-)  There's nothing out there that offers a "bolt-in" fit except for OEM stuff that's been refurbished.
Oh...I didn't know you were looking for an aftermarket column that was plug-n-play. That certainly doesn't exist for the Bullnose. An aftermarket column could certainly be made to work...but not without some fabrication of mounting brackets, etc. I'd do it, but only as a last resort.

I've not disassembled a Bullnose factory tilt column, but I've had several regular auto and manual (3-on-the-tree) columns stripped down, and they're really very easy to overhaul if you can find all the parts you need.

If you do repair one, just FYI there is a company that makes a replacement lower end bearing housings assembly that's much heavier/stronger than the original.

https://drbfab.com/collections/ford/products/all-metal-lower-steering-column-bearing
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have done a few tilt columns and they are certainly more fiddly. fixed angle columns are very simple. i will be doing more as i get them and would rebuild as a service locally. shipping may one day be available too.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Is that lower bearing replacement one in which the column must be removed or just loosened, unbolted and lifted a little?  Press fit on the bearing or would it just drop out?

Thanks for the link, Rembrandt!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the lower bearing can be replaced with the column installed. the mid shaft with the flex connector needs to be disconnected then telescoped in to be out of the way then there are three 1/4" headed screws holding the bearing housing to the column. of course, all of this is under the brake master but very accessible.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Terrific!  Thanks Mat.  If mine's the source of the wiggles, I'll get a new one!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
either of the upper or lower bearings are possible but my experience has mostly been the upper bearing. right under the turn signal switch assembly.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Check this out:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-GM-Tilt-Steering-Column-32-Inch-Floor-Shift-Raw,66808.html

It's the right length for my truck and the 1" DD should be a perfect match.  I'd have to rig a connector for the wiring, steering wheel and bracketry under the dash, but Speedway sells an adapter.

I'd get no wiggles and the tilt I need without paying $1K for a refurbished OEM.  Am I crazy?  Be honest! :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, ignition switch, where is it? Needs a GM or adapted steering wheel, no cruise switches if you have cruise.

I helped put one in a 1956 Dog, er Dodge pickup that other than the 9" rear and Mustang II front end was kept all Mopar complete with a 360 and Torqueflite 727. It was ok, but I wouldn't use one in mine.

Having had two full size Fomoco cars (1970 LTD and 1971 Colony Park) I would bet any floor shift car of that era with a column mounted ignition switch could be used. The shifter bowl is replaced with a dummy for floor shift applications.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Take two...

Right, Bill...where's the IGN?  Perhaps this one:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Keyed-GM-Tilt-Steering-Column-Floor-Shift-32-Raw,486006.html

It's keyed and I'd have to adapt the Ford wires but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.  
The idea of finding a full size Ford or Merc of that vintage is a good idea.  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
While you are on GM (Saginaw) columns, here's one, not Chrome, but interior color.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
personally, I would consider that as a last resort. how much of a requirement is tilt wheel actually?
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
According to my MARTI, mine originally came with a tilt—it does not have one now, so…..Also, someone put in an 87+ bench seat in it instead of the low back bench they were including then.  

Interior is my next project, in about a year I surmise.  Much to pay off before I get to it.

But, I am definitely interested in the column search noted in this thread.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Item for you, the same column was used in the coffin nose (1987-1991) trucks use the same column, but a different bolt on mounting bracket and ignition switch. If you are using a floor shift then any floor shift tilt column 1980-1991 will work.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
85lebaront2 wrote
Item for you, the same column was used in the coffin nose (1987-1991) trucks use the same column, but a different bolt on mounting bracket and ignition switch. If you are using a floor shift then any floor shift tilt column 1980-1991 will work.

Wait so you are saying ANY tilt column (I have manual stick) will work from 80-91?  And all I would have to do is fab up the mounting bracket (and match the wires of course).  
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)